Sep 12, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
I find it kind of odd that the Astros are already conducting a managerial search given that it’s over a month and a half before they can talk to everyone who might be a candidate (i.e. playoff teams don’t want their coaches going out on interviews in October). That said, including people in that search who have known success in Houston is a good idea:
[Craig] Biggio, a special assistant to general manager Jeff Luhnow, is involved in the interview process to find a full-time manager.
“I’m honored and excited about it,” he said. “I’ve been part of this organization for a long period of time and they trust my judgment and my decision-making. I’m honored to be part of this process.”
Those of us old enough to remember when Biggio broke in remember that the Astros were kind of a mess back then. He saw them rebuild. He saw them make it to the World Series. He was around for good managers and bad. Institutional knowledge is pretty important.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 59
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11