Sep 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Dee Gordon was the Dodgers’ starting shortstop from Opening Day through early July, when a torn thumb ligament sent him to the disabled list.
While he was out Los Angeles traded for Hanley Ramirez, leaving Gordon without a job now that he’s finally healthy. He was activated from the 60-day disabled list yesterday, but manager Don Mattingly explained to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Gordon is unlikely to do much beyond pinch-running down the stretch.
Gordon wasn’t exactly thriving before injuring his thumb, hitting just .229 with a .280 on-base percentage and .282 slugging percentage in 79 games. He did steal 30 bases at a 79 percent clip and made some highlight-worthy plays defensively, but the jury is still out on whether he can be a top-of-the-lineup asset offensively and his overall defensive numbers aren’t pretty.
Or as Mattingly put it:
This is a guy that needs to get on base better. He’s got to make better decisions, as far as the speed of the game, when do I try to make a great play, making that bread-and-butter double play.
Mattingly went on to say that “personally I think Dee’s going to be a great player” because “he brings something that no one else can bring.” That vote of confidence doesn’t mean much for the rest of this year, but if the Dodgers shift Ramirez to third base next season Gordon could be back as the primary shortstop.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)