Sep 12, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Busting it down the line trying to beat out a double-play ball, Derek Jeter suffered a bone bruise in his left ankle when he hit the bag awkwardly in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox.
Jeter was clearly in some pain and he was attended to after initially trying to make it back to the dugout on his own. Manager Joe Girardi and the trainer came out to look at him and help him off the field.
Girardi said after the game that Jeter has been bothered by soreness in the area for days, but that he expected his shortstop would attempt to play in Thursday’s series finale.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 10
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires