Sep 12, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT
Busting it down the line trying to beat out a double-play ball, Derek Jeter suffered a bone bruise in his left ankle when he hit the bag awkwardly in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox.
Jeter was clearly in some pain and he was attended to after initially trying to make it back to the dugout on his own. Manager Joe Girardi and the trainer came out to look at him and help him off the field.
Girardi said after the game that Jeter has been bothered by soreness in the area for days, but that he expected his shortstop would attempt to play in Thursday’s series finale.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106