Sep 12, 2012, 11:21 PM EST
Busting it down the line trying to beat out a double-play ball, Derek Jeter suffered a bone bruise in his left ankle when he hit the bag awkwardly in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox.
Jeter was clearly in some pain and he was attended to after initially trying to make it back to the dugout on his own. Manager Joe Girardi and the trainer came out to look at him and help him off the field.
Girardi said after the game that Jeter has been bothered by soreness in the area for days, but that he expected his shortstop would attempt to play in Thursday’s series finale.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)