Derek Jeter exits Red Sox game with bone bruise in ankle

Sep 12, 2012, 11:21 PM EDT

Derek Jeter injured

Busting it down the line trying to beat out a double-play ball, Derek Jeter suffered a bone bruise in his left ankle when he hit the bag awkwardly in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox.

Jeter was clearly in some pain and he was attended to after initially trying to make it back to the dugout on his own. Manager Joe Girardi and the trainer came out to look at him and help him off the field.

Girardi said after the game that Jeter has been bothered by soreness in the area for days, but that he expected his shortstop would attempt to play in Thursday’s series finale.

Casey McGehee replaced Jeter, with Jayson Nix moving from third base to short. Nix and Eduardo Nunez presumably would share time at short if Jeter is forced to miss a few games.

1. mybrunoblog - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Come on. We all know the drill with Derk Jeter. Unless his ankle is hanging off by a piece of cartilage he will sit out a day or two (against his will), then tape that ankle up and play. It’s Jeters world. We just live in it.

• shockgee - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Good. Hope he sits. Pain in the arse.

2. nofunleague - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM

better get back on the rhoids again

• brian32556 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Jerk.

• teaspoon1731 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Rhoids refers to hemorrhoids. I don’t know how one gets back on them.

I assume you meant roids, as in steroids. And the idea that Jeter is not or has ever been on steroids is ridiculous. I despise the man, and I still think that’s insane.

• teaspoon1731 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM

*now. Jeter’s is not now or ever has been on steroids.

3. ravensoriolesnation - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM

jeter on steroids come on man don’t say that in new York, he wishes he had a work record like Cal Ripken, na, I like jeter hes a stubborn old man.

• bigharold - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Ass Hat!!

• jkay1818 - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’D say talk to me when Jeter retires to compare stats, championships etc etc..But even if Jeter retires now, he still smokes Ripken in almost every single statistical category. Ripken is a great, great player, but I never understood that whenever Jeter comes up, someone has to pop in and mention how much better ripken was and usually thats without comparing stats. Add in the fact that when it’s all said and done ripken would have played a lot more games.

4. randygnyc - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM

His post game remarks says he’s playing tomorrow.

5. thatyankeedude - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

There is simple proof that jeter clearly is not on steroids. Look at the females that get escorted out of his apartment. I don’t think that dude is doing anything to cheat himself and the game and I’m not talkin baseball ooohhh giggity!

6. thecrabcakestate - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

O’s fan here. Jeter def not on roids. Try and at least fake some class. I hate the yanks but he is not a cheater.

7. thecrabcakestate - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Come on man. He’s not on roids. At least fake some class. I’m an O’s fan and despise the yanks. But really man?

8. thatyankeedude - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I’m glad there are some decent Os fans on here. If jeter ever was found guilty of steroids baseball would be catastrophic to baseball. But the good news is he is a good guy and we dont have to worry about that. Well at least until some douche bag becomes hell bent on proving he took steroids then it will be an issue again in like 10 years but hey let’s enjoy the rest of his career until that jerk comes along.

9. cinfante54 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I’m a Red Sox fan, a huge one. But I’ve always respected Jeter. To those of you to say that he’s on roids or anything else, you’re ignorant. Just because your favorite player won’t play on your team for 17-18 years, doesn’t mean you need to bash one of the game’s greatest players. I can only hope Pedroia gets to this level in the future as he is my only hope for the Sox. Jeter will be out there on crutches before he sits out a game, especially the magnitude of them now.

10. shockgee - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Good. Pain in the arse that he is. Let him sit.

And you folks can’t tell me that Granderson is NOT juicing. Get serious. The guy is gonna get pinched sooner than later.

• djpostl - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Grandy doesn’t need to be on roids…he is just feast or famine.

Hell, a dude with a SO/9 of 1.9, and a grand total of 16 K’s all year (yes, SIXTEEN), struck him out in quick order in the 1st inning.

All. Or nothing.

11. thatyankeedude - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Granderson always had pop even in detroit. Then a move to Yankee stadium just made it seem that much crazier. I don’t think he is juicing, he is just fortunate to play a lot of games at Yankee stadium.

12. wingsrule12 - Sep 13, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Why is everybody buying in to the Skip Brainless steroids flap. If he had half a brain in his head he wouldn’t have it handed to him every morning on first take. I know this is America and everyone has the right to free speech but Bayless needs to just STFU already

13. ch0psuey - Sep 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM