Sep 12, 2012, 12:39 AM EDT
The Giants have all but wrapped up the NL West with 20 games left to play.
The Giants won on another off night from Madison Bumgarner, who allowed five runs and 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings of work. The Giants used seven relievers to get through the remaining 4 2/3 innings, with Guillermo Mota providing the best showing. He struck out four of the five hitters he faced in the sixth and seventh innings.
Still, the official scorer made the call to give the win to George Kontos, who got two outs after replacing Bumgarner in the fifth. Kontos was then removed for a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the inning.
The Giants’ offensive star was Brandon Belt, who had a solo homer and a two-run double as part of a four-RBI night. Bumgarner went 2-for-2 with a three-run homer of his own to make a big contribution in another outing in which he just didn’t have it. He’s allowed at least four earned runs in four straight starts now, and he may well have taken a fourth straight loss tonight if not for the homer.
The Dodgers’ loss was a much different affair, with two teams combining for just nine hits. The game’s lone run was unearned after Paul Goldschmidt reached on a Hanley Ramirez error to start the seventh. Miguel Montero doubled in him, tagging Clayton Kershaw with a very tough loss.
Ian Kennedy pitched 7 1/3 scoreless innings for Arizona. He’s 2-1 with a 0.91 ERA against the Dodgers this year and 11-10 with a 4.61 ERA versus everyone else.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)