Sep 12, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
When the White Sox bumped Francisco Liriano from his start tonight in favor of Gavin Floyd, it was supposed to be a two-day move, with Liriano possibly pitching out of the pen against the Tigers and then starting Friday against the Twins.
Liriano gave up hits to the only two batters he faced last night in his first relief appearance for the White Sox and was charged with two runs. He’s 2-1 with a 5.09 ERA in his eight starts since coming over from the Twins in July. He did pitch six strong innings against the Twins on July 31, allowing two runs and striking out eight in a no-decision, but the White Sox are obviously focusing more in on his recent struggles.
Santiago, who opened the season as the White Sox’s closer, will be making his third start of the year in Liriano’s place Friday. He beat the Twins on Sept. 3 by allowing one run in five innings, and he pitched four scoreless innings against the Royals on Sunday.
As for Liriano, he appears to have run out of time to impress potential suitors as he heads into free agency. There will certainly be teams willing to give him a shot this winter, but after back-to-back seasons with ERAs over 5.00, he’ll likely have to accept a modest one-year deal.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)