Sep 12, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
When the White Sox bumped Francisco Liriano from his start tonight in favor of Gavin Floyd, it was supposed to be a two-day move, with Liriano possibly pitching out of the pen against the Tigers and then starting Friday against the Twins.
Liriano gave up hits to the only two batters he faced last night in his first relief appearance for the White Sox and was charged with two runs. He’s 2-1 with a 5.09 ERA in his eight starts since coming over from the Twins in July. He did pitch six strong innings against the Twins on July 31, allowing two runs and striking out eight in a no-decision, but the White Sox are obviously focusing more in on his recent struggles.
Santiago, who opened the season as the White Sox’s closer, will be making his third start of the year in Liriano’s place Friday. He beat the Twins on Sept. 3 by allowing one run in five innings, and he pitched four scoreless innings against the Royals on Sunday.
As for Liriano, he appears to have run out of time to impress potential suitors as he heads into free agency. There will certainly be teams willing to give him a shot this winter, but after back-to-back seasons with ERAs over 5.00, he’ll likely have to accept a modest one-year deal.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 2
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 21
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 41
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)