Sep 12, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
When the White Sox bumped Francisco Liriano from his start tonight in favor of Gavin Floyd, it was supposed to be a two-day move, with Liriano possibly pitching out of the pen against the Tigers and then starting Friday against the Twins.
Liriano gave up hits to the only two batters he faced last night in his first relief appearance for the White Sox and was charged with two runs. He’s 2-1 with a 5.09 ERA in his eight starts since coming over from the Twins in July. He did pitch six strong innings against the Twins on July 31, allowing two runs and striking out eight in a no-decision, but the White Sox are obviously focusing more in on his recent struggles.
Santiago, who opened the season as the White Sox’s closer, will be making his third start of the year in Liriano’s place Friday. He beat the Twins on Sept. 3 by allowing one run in five innings, and he pitched four scoreless innings against the Royals on Sunday.
As for Liriano, he appears to have run out of time to impress potential suitors as he heads into free agency. There will certainly be teams willing to give him a shot this winter, but after back-to-back seasons with ERAs over 5.00, he’ll likely have to accept a modest one-year deal.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)