Sep 12, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
MLB released its 2013 schedule with a couple of surprises today. One nice one: a scheduled doubleheader between the Rangers and Diamondbacks on Memorial Day (May 27).
As expected, Opening Day will revert back to Monday next year after midweek openers the last two seasons. There are currently 12 games slated for April 1, including a Red Sox-Yankees matchup and an interleague game featuring the Angels and Reds. After the World Series, ESPN will pick one of those 12 games to move up to Sunday night for its season kickoff.
The Astros will play their first game as an American League team when they host the Rangers on on April 2. It’s the shift of the Astros to the AL, creating two 15-team leagues, that will necessitate daily interleague games throughout the season. However, MLB has still scheduled a chunk of interleague play around the Memorial Day holiday. That week will feature some very unusual back-to-back two-game series between rivals.
As such, the Mets will host the Yankees on Monday and Tuesday and then go to Yankee Stadium for games Wednesday and Thursday. Similar arrangements will play out between the Cubs and White Sox; the Red Sox and Phillies; the Angels and Dodgers; the Orioles and Nationals; and the Giants and A’s, as well as others.
That every division will now have five teams makes for a particularly challenging schedule. Yet MLB has done its best to close the season with as many divisional matchups as possible (which is 12). Next year’s season-ending series will include Angels-Rangers, Red Sox-Orioles, Rockies-Dodgers, Phillies-Braves, Padres-Giants and Cubs-Cardinals. The Yankees will get the Astros to finish the season, while the Tigers will face the Marlins in the final interleague series.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)