Sep 12, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Hughes addressed the allegations by issuing the following statement today:
In response to Brandon Phillips’ TV interview yesterday prior to the game, I feel compelled to once again make it perfectly clear that I did not make any comment with a racial undertone or connotation during our exchange on Monday night, period. While I cannot repeat everything that I said because I did swear, it is obvious when reviewing the tape that I in no way, shape or form made any remark that was in any way connected to race. It is not how I was raised and not who I am as a person.
During the game in question Hughes plunked Phillips with a pitch and then the two players had a few words, followed by Phillips tweeting after the game that an unnamed Pirates player was racist toward him.
Andrew McCutchen apparently played peace-maker yesterday, putting Phillips and Hughes together for a chat that both players seemed happy about.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45