Jared Hughes issues statement to address Brandon Phillips’ racism allegations

Sep 12, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

Jared Hughes and Brandon Phillips have already squashed whatever beef they had, but Phillips alleging that Hughes made racist comments during Monday night’s game continues to be a story.

Hughes addressed the allegations by issuing the following statement today:

In response to Brandon Phillips’ TV interview yesterday prior to the game, I feel compelled to once again make it perfectly clear that I did not make any comment with a racial undertone or connotation during our exchange on Monday night, period.  While I cannot repeat everything that I said because I did swear, it is obvious when reviewing the tape that I in no way, shape or form made any remark that was in any way connected to race.  It is not how I was raised and not who I am as a person.

During the game in question Hughes plunked Phillips with a pitch and then the two players had a few words, followed by Phillips tweeting after the game that an unnamed Pirates player was racist toward him.

Andrew McCutchen apparently played peace-maker yesterday, putting Phillips and Hughes together for a chat that both players seemed happy about.

1. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Oh goody. A whole ‘nother thread for people to argue and show their true colors.

HOW EXCITING.

Maybe you guys can just start posting stuff on the upcoming election and then we could go for records in comments posted, hate, and immaturity…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How do you feel about women’s reproductive rights? Might as well get it all out of the bag!

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

*CRINGE*

• thefalcon123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I think abortions should be mandatory and readily available at local drive-thrus.

• karaterobot - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I feel the opposite of whatever opinion you have!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I feel the opposite of whatever opinion you have!

/slowclap

• gammagammahey - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Abortions for some. Miniature American flags for all!

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Karate, you win the Internets today.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I like tacos?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I am a big fan of Tenderloin Sandwiches. They are an Indiana staple.
        I like them with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise.
        I also like them with with mayonnaise only. Sometimes I put cheese on them as well.
        But I don’t put cheese on them frequently. Just when I am feeling a little….crazy.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I like to boogie on a Saturday Night

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Man, a hot dog would be killer right now. A grilled nathan’s on a grilled bun.

• gostlcards5 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

stl1…Nice coincidence. What part of Indiana are you from? (I grew up south of Terre Haute, and now live about 20-30 miles N-NW of the Haute).

• gostlcards5 - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Gotta love that….7 “thumbs down”, either because:
        – I grew up in Indiana
        – I grew up/now live near Terre Haute
        – I cared to ask where stl1 was from

Exactly why I don’t care what people think… :D

• buggieowens - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I’m outraged at the lack of sporks! Up with multi-purpose utensils!

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Swiss army knives for all, paid for with tax dollars of the rich!

• kiwicricket - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Sporks are a communistic hand-tool.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hey, I like your electoral process. Its great comedy theatre. Your newsman Jon Stewart is having a great time with it. As far as this hairball goes, in my opinion Phillips made the emphatic statement with his bat yesterday.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Well cur, what’s your opinion on this article? You sure had a lot of opinions on the other one. Go ahead and dodge it, we know you will.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Hmmm, I think I saw this mentality somewhere recently, how about this: “Just because he said this doesn’t make it true.”

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

skids! Ole buddy, ole pall, ole sock! Howaya, my little kidney? Feeling well today? Full of piss? Anyhow, I was afraid I was talking to an empty chair. Glad to see you’re still around.

Didn’t know as you were interested in my opinion. But since you ask, and oh so nicely, let me speak gently into your no doubt shell-like ear. See Chris Fiorentino’s comment down below (12:36 PM)? That’s my answer.

Cheers brah.

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Cur, it’s not nice to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I know, but I’m bored and a touch depressed: the analysis of my results reveals a significant and pervasive gap in knowledge of fetal sense development. MDs, RNs, NNPs etc. That’s depressing. I’m writing up my recommendations right now and its dry, dry, dry. Without skids and his lil buddy in ignorance, saints, I’d never get through it.

I read your story about the young fellow with the appendicitis. If I wasn’t tougher than milk fed veal I might have teared up a bit, too. I’m not only glad that you helped him out, I’m more than bit proud to call you a colleague. I hope the young man did ok.

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Thank you. That means a lot to me. Likewise.

• skids003 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So cur, now you have changed your mind? Thats right bluestinkbreath, I said it, just because someone says something doesn’t make it true. Only to you libs.

indaburg, I’m sorry you have no wits.

• dickclydesdale - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Everybody is racist and the world will always be racist but everyone masks it to live in a fake politically correct society.
      Looks like the bucks pitcher slipped the Ni99a word out LOL.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

As MIke Francesa would say…Yuuuuge. Again, too many people are pointing to Phillips and Hughes hugging it out and making it right. As I said before MLB and the Pirates are not going to let it go at them hugging it out. If something racist was said, Hughes would be in trouble for the insensitivity whether Phillips and him worked it out or not. That is what the Pirates and Hughes are now getting their backs up and saying nothing racist was said. because in Phillips statement, he never once said “Nothing racist was said…I misheard.” The onus is now on him to say that or this issue will not go away.

• Tim's Neighbor - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Hughes said something reasonably not intending it to be racist. Phillips heard something and reasonably assumed it was racist. The English language is a funny one. A lot of words have a variety of meanings that span cultural, educational, economical, etc meanings.

Toe-may-toe or toe-mahtoe? Hell, is the tomato a vegetable? Even the Supreme Court had to rule on that one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden

Again, context, context, context. Racism exists. Some are more sensitive than others, and that doesn’t make them wrong or right. The important thing is that we address the issues like mature adults when these things occur.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Tim, where do you get the idea that “Hughes said something reasonably not intending it to be racist”? He has unequivocally denied saying ANYTHING REMOTELY racist. There is no fuzzy ground here. Phillips claims he heard Hughes say something racist. Hughes says he said NOTHING racist. Unless and until Phillips says EXACTLY what Hughes says, we are pretty much left to wonder what it was that Phillips heard or thinks he heard.

I have come around to the opinion that Hughes said nothing racist…or at the very least, did not call Phillips “Boy” because I 100% believe that the Pirates would not have backed him if he admitted to calling Phillips “Boy” or even saying the word “Boy” when referring to Phillips in any way.

So again…context is not important here. Intent is not important here. Hughes says he didn’t say anything racist. Phillips claims he did, but won’t say what he heard. It’s sounding more and more like Phillips put his foot in his mouth…or stuck his tweet up his butt when he went on and ranted the other night that “someone” on the Pirates said “something racist”. I’ve shied away from saying who was right and wrong here, but until Phillips is more clear about what he heard, he looks really, really bad here.

• bengalsucker - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

to Chris – I watched a clip last night of what happened on MLB.com. Hughes repeatedly called Phillips “boy” in the clip. I’m no expert lip reader but it was plain as day “boy” was said 3 or 4 times within a half minute or so while he was looking in Phillips’ direction. Go take a gander before assuming. Not sure he would call him “Moy” or “Poy” which are the only two other possibilities I would think he could have said considering the motion of his mouth. Of course neither of those would make any sense.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I am not assuming anything. I am simply commenting on what Hughes said, which is that he didn’t say anything racist. Referring to a black man as “Boy” is racist. Period.

So unless Phillips comes clean with what he thought he heard, I am not going to play lip-reader here. Also, once again, the Pirates organization could see the same tape and they said he didn’t say anything racist. If they do think he called Phillips “Boy” and they are backing him, then they will end up looking the fools down the road.

But again…if Phillips stays mum, then we will never know.

3. kkolchak - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This is exactly why I have decried Phillips’s handling of this whole situation. There is a big difference between a verbal spat in which someone’s feelings got hurt and one in which racial epitaphs are being thrown around. Phillips’s stance is “Hughes called me something racist, but I don’t want to make a big deal out of it.” Bullshit. Either what Hughes said was racist or it wasn’t, and if not Phillips needs to STFU and stop defaming the man’s reputation.

I suspect that Phillips is backing down because he knows that whatever Hughes said was normally within bounds as far as what players routinely say to each other in the heat of the moment and he now realizes that he risks ostracizing himself around the league if he keeps pushing the issue.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It’s also possible that Hughes said what Phillips was implying (calling him “boy”) and Hughes doesn’t feel it was racist and Phillips did. Unfortunately there isn’t a clear line when using [possible] derogatory terms like that, and in general people just need to be careful what they say. For instance, remember the hoopla over Jeremy Lin and ESPN, when after Lin had a bad game a late night online article referred to it as a “chink in the armor”? Or occasionally a person will be lambasted for using the phrase “call a spade a spade”.

I’m sure there’s more to the story than what’s being told, and I doubt any of us will get a satisfactory answer.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I think if Hughes had said “Boy” to refer to Phillips, then the Pirates would not be backing him. It is pretty clear in today’s society that “Boy” is a derogatory term to black men. If he did admit to saying “Boy” when referring to Phillips, then no amount of hugging would get Hughes out of the trouble he would be in with MLB and the Pirates.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Chris, I agree with you. These “possibilities” these guys keep coming up with are getting out there. I think you’re right. MLB and The Pirates would not be backing him if he did that. Either way, I am tired of hearing about it. Let’s get back to the pennant races.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Entirely possible, I just don’t have that much faith in humanity anymore.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Maybe I should have been clearer…the Pirates Organization(re: Corporation worried about its public image) would not have backed him if he admitted to calling Phillips “Boy”. Some of his teammates may back him, but I would be willing to say with 100% certainty that the Pirates organization would NOT back one of their white players referring to a black player as “Boy”. No doubt about it.

• historiophiliac - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Shhh, Selig is sleeping.

4. randygnyc - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

There you go. One person says “racism”. The other person unequivocally denies any “racism”.

You may continue your unabated quest to justify your own ideologies.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Or experiences, but yeah.

5. eagles512 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM

But Craig said you did!

6. koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM

So it’s age-ism?

7. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Look, can we all just agree that everyone else is wrong?

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

P.S. I will personally smack everyone who gives a serious reply….and yet most people still will…..

• raysfan1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I agree that you wrong.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You are right. I mean wrong. I mean….oh crap, all confused

8. pilonflats - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Chewbacca!!!

• kiwicricket - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

That’s derogatory if said to a hairy person.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

It’s also derogatory if said to my Brother-in-law.
        The dude has more back hair than a Silver Back Gorilla.

• kiwicricket - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I hope your sister is fine, otherwise they might be making Marmot’s.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

“I hope your sister is fine, otherwise they might be making Marmot’s.”
        Yeah really. Just for the record…he is married to my Wife’s Sister (who is also really hot).
        She is annoying like a little Sister.
        To the point of me affectionately calling her hemorrhoid for the last 15 years.

• historiophiliac - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I’m going to resist the urge to make a “your mom is so hairy” joke here…

9. hasbeen5 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

In a world where we are sensitive to the point that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is considered racist (seriously, google it) I think it’s possible that Phillips heard racism when Hughes didn’t intend there to be any.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Intent is not what is important. If Hughes referred to Phillips as “Boy” then he is guilty of being racially insensitive whether he intended there to be racism or not. He may just be stupid or naive to think that isn’t a racist term for a black man, but the fact is that intent really has nothing to do with it.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Absolutely hasbeen. Because everyone knows that everything is racist.
      As I stated a few weeks back…it’s to the point of now being very similar to the boy who cried wolf.
      Also much like the kid who is constantly belittled, berated or otherwise badgered by his parents.
      After awhile…a lot of people become numb to it and it ultimately falls on deaf ears.

10. gostlcards5 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

A few things:
    – Personally, I am just happy that I don’t see anyone blatantly saying “he’s lying” about Hughes. Because then, we’d have to see the whole reverse-BS of yesterday’s BS that “you only don’t believe him because he’s white…” (argh)
    – I do not know whether the guy is lying. If he is, he is an ass-hat, as is anyone else who makes racial comments with intent (some people are just stupid/insensitive and need correction).
    – All of you can blast me as lying also if you want, but my belief (and the way I live) is that it is the core of the person that dictates the person to me. I work in a multi-national corporation, with many different races, creeds, religions, nationalities, etc. Meaning, for example, I don’t look at a specific black gentleman that works in a department here and think of him as “black” (or anything else). To me, he is , and he is a good person, sharp/good at what he does here, and a hell of a lot of fun to be around. He’s a PERSON, same as me, that’s it. Not to be overly religious either, but that is the way I believe that God intended life to be.
    – I refer to both of my son’s as “boy” at times, sometimes “boy-child”, usually when they are being saucy about something. No real relationship to anything said…I’m just sayin’…
    – Brandon Phillips, STILL an ass-hat. (ha ha)

• gostlcards5 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Sorry, the above was supposed to read:

” To me, he is ***name withheld***, …”

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

South side of Indy…born and raised.
      On a different topic: Based upon the thumbs downs it appears we have several people who have no clue what they are missing when it comes to Tenderloin sandwiches.

• gostlcards5 - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

- No kidding. I lived just inside the loop near the East St exit (you could see it from our condo) for about 1 1/2 years with a friend from college.
        – You’re right about that. If the thumbs down are because of the tenderloins, people really don’t know what they’re missing. Crazy good stuff there.
        – If the thumbs down are for what I said above, all I can say is this. It’s the truth, because I’m not wired any other way. If people don’t like or don’t believe me, that’s their problem, not mine (again, part of how I’m wired). I can look in the mirror each day and be happy with me, and I’d like to say that’s because my parents brought me up right. I think that’s most of it, but there’s just a little bit more to it, dealing with who I am as a person. I know I’ve got my faults, but a lot more people could use my “wiring diagram” where attitude towards people in general is concerned.

11. sawxalicious - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

@chris:

I disagree that intent does not matter. Sometimes the person is merely ignorant of certain phrases, jestures, or customs that would offend another person. Just playing devil’s advocate here, but what if Hughes (whatever he said) had no intent to be racist whatsoever, but merely wanted to be a standard a-hole to Phillips. If he said “boy”, it may have been on a context like, “boy I oughtta….”. He may have immediately had a foot in mouth moment, or maybe he did not realize at all. Or maybe he is just a racist d-bag. I think he and Phillips talked it over, Hughes was probably like “dude, that’s totally not what I meant” and Phillips was genuinely OK with that explanation. Phillips doesn’t want to back down from stating he heard a racist comment, because he legitimately believes he heard what he would normally associate as a racist word or phrase. I watched his (Phillips’) interview and think if Hughes had any racist intent whatsoever, Phillips would NOT made up with him. So yeah, intent does often matter.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I have a feeling he said Boy because he’s a cocksure pitcher getting caught up in the heat of the ballgame. I also have a feeling that Phillips tweeted about it because he was upset and still dealing with the just finished ballgame. Finally, I have a feeling that Craig reported on the tweet because that’s what blogs like this one tend to do. At the end of the day, Hughes gets misunderstood, Phillips gets misunderstood, and Craig gets misunderstood.

What’s so hard to understand about that?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I disagree. I am coming around to the opinion that Hughes did NOT call Phillips boy, for the simple reason that the PIrates organization would not back him the way they did if there was remotely a doubt. Phillips needs to come clean on what he thinks he heard. If he just tries to blow this thing off, after Hughes’s AND the Pirates statements today, then Phillips looks really bad here.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I come from the camp that it was only a tweet, and that tweets are only credible in terms of impulsive thoughts. Yes, Phillips (and all mega-users) should be aware of the potential shitstorms to ensue when talking about hot button issues, but having said that, he has nothing to apologize for. He should apologize or make a statement to calm everything down, but I won’t begrudge him for not doing so. He didn’t name any names in his tweet. He didn’t commit slander against anyone in particular. In that regard, he is in the clear.

But this argument goes beyond Phillips and Hughes’ role and ends up at the media’s door. Why report a tweet? Why attack the reporter with false accusations of what the reporter is truly saying? That’s just crazy to me.

I have re-read Hughes’ statement and have yet to hear him not admit to using the term Boy, which is the accusation. He says he is not a racist, and I believe him. But it’s possible for a non-racist to use a term while unknowingly insult the person he is talking to. I have done this in the past. I am sure a lot of people have been in that boat. We are what we are for how we conduct ourselves despite those bunglings and shortcomings.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

@sawx…when I said intent doesn’t matter, I really meant in this specific case. In other words, if Hughes naively didn’t know that “Boy” is a racially insensitive term to say to a black man, then while he may not have intended to be insensitive, he still way. Like I said..he may not be a racist per se…but his comment would have been racist if he had said it whether he intended it to be racist or not. I hope that makes more sense, but probably not.

12. Stiller43 - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Too late jared, craigy essentially laughed at anyone implying phillips could be lying or stretching the truth. No dice.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Seems like wordpress is having a bad day. A lot of comments aren’t getting posted. Too much traffic I guess. Oh well, I’ll take a shot at this one but I don’t expect that a) it’ll post or b) you’ll see what I’m getting at. However, to hope is human and to persevere is what gets us ahead in life, so here goes:

If I read you correctly I’m assuming that you believe Phillps lied and here’s the proof: Hughes denies the whole thing. If I have that right*, then why do you assume Hughes is telling the truth and Phillips is lying? Its been my experience in over a dozen times that when I complain about the serial racial epithets directed at me, the person/s using them deny that they did. They lie. It was invariably assumed that I was the liar though. Just as is happening with Phillips here. Just as you are doing right now (providing I’m filtering your sarcasm properly, of course). So, to reiterate; How do you know that Phillips did lie and that Hughes is NOT lying?

*(if I do not have that right, then pardon me. It must be my reading glasses or something. Damn things have had trouble with irony and sarcasm since the Trudeau administration)

Another fine point here: people like me usually don’t bother to complain. No one tends to believe us. Phillips is, right now I bet, wishing he never said a thing about it. Given my experiences, when ordinary people, people without a history of an agenda they are trying to push I mean, make an accusation like Phillips made, I’m going to take their word for it. Too often the person about whom they are complaining about, denies it. Just like Hughes is doing.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM

People are getting caught up in the spam filter. If you post a bunch of comments in rapid succession [roughly 6-8 in my experience], your posts won’t show up for awhile.

13. historiophiliac - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Am I the only one here who thinks Phillips and Hughes might need another phone mediation? Urgh.

14. psousa1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Everything is racist. Say “Good morning, how are you?” and someone somewhere is going to say it is a racist statement. Don’t care anymore. There is nothing more American than wanting to be offended.

15. saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Aren’t there tons of cameras and tons of microphones at every MLB game? It is possible to isolate sounds with the footage. The Cincinnati Reds are in control of at least half the footage. Am I to believe that no one has dissected the incident over and over to find sound or read lips?

AV guys understand that this is not rocket science. The evidence is there. One side is saying go look at/listen to the tape. One side is not referring at all to evidence.

If he said something, and I have seen transcripts of Hughes telling BP to “throw the MFing ball in the MFing dugout you MFer”, or something along those lines, then someone has proof of it. It’ll come out if he did.

16. bengalsucker - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

To whoever keeps saying that Hughes didn’t say “boy”, please go watch the clip of the incident on mlb.com. Hughes says “boy” 3 or 4 times within 30 seconds or so and he was clearly talking to Phillips and looking in his direction. Again, I’m no expert lip reader but it’s clear as day “boy”.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Shhhhh! You’re ruining the point saints97 ^^^^^^ is trying to make.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The video on MLB.com doesn’t even show Hughes’ mouth when he’s talking to Phillips. But it does show BP on 1B, not at all worked up about anything.

Again, the Reds own tons of footage. Prove it or STFU. Actually, it would already be out there if there was actual footage of Hughes saying something racist, but racism apparently needs no proof, only an accusation.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Saints: But he really…really…really wants him to say it so #4 doesn’t look bad.
        It also seems (very sadly)…a lot of people are disappointed in the possibly that nothing racial was said. Then…you have others that seem disappointed (equally very sad) Phillips and Hughes kissed and made up. The whole damn thing is sad.
        I am sad. You are sad. Party is sad. Historic is sad. Church is sad. Cur is sad.
        Check that…Cur is sad AND depressed.
        Depressed for other reasons…but depressed nonetheless.

• historiophiliac - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If “Historic” is supposed to be me, I’d like to say for the record that I am not at all sad for the reasons you’ve suggested.

• js20011041 - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

bengalsucker, I’m sorry, but unless you have another video, the one on MLB.com clearly does not show Hughes saying the word “boy.” The only words captured by the cameras that were aimed from Hughes to Phillips were the words “hey man.” The cameras did capture Phillips saying the word boy several times to an umpire. Could Hughes have said boy? Sure. Is it possible that Hughes didn’t say “boy” and that Phillips misheard him? Sure. But we don’t know and at this point to say otherwise is a lie.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM

But again…he really, really, really wants him to have said it.

• raysfan1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

“hey man” sounds just like “Heyman,” Scott Boras’ favorite media shill. That’s not racist, but it’s definitely an insult!***

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Right after “mother f*cker” at 23 seconds “boy” nice and clear (youtube clip, google search “What Hughes said to Phillips”: not going to post it here, just clutters up the comments). BUT its your lip reading vs my lip reading. Since neither of us are expert lip readers (post your credentials if you are), I’m going with Phillips who was there and heard it. I’m also going with the long history I have with people who, when called on their racist bullshit, deny, deny, deny. Even when you have them on tape its “that’s not me. I never said that… blah, blah, blah”. Then that’s followed up by people like you lot: taking the easy way out because you want the world to be a certain way. That IS depressing.

• js20011041 - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Ok, I youtubed it and what he clearly says is “hey man, throw that ball back to the dugout motherfucker. He appears to be spitting a second or two after that, and I’m sorry, but to turn that into him saying boy is to be looking for it. I’m going to side with the accused until PROVEN otherwise. He may have said it, but based on what we have on camera, it really doesn’t look like he did.

Further, it’s incredibly irresponsible to throw that accusation around without definitive proof. Once a person is branded a racist, it’s not something that just goes away. THAT, is what’s depressing.

• dannythebisforbeast - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

not buying your argument. doesnt look like he said boy and doesnt make sense to say it like that. If he said throw the ball to the dugout boy. that is logical. to spit out the word Boy by itself after calling him a motherf’r doesnt roll of the tongue to me.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I feel like I should qualify your depression (that I referenced) was based solely on your post in regards to your medical findings you were working on.
        That is why I said you were sad AND depressed.
        We have always been good. I plan to keep it that way. Hence the qualification.

• 24missed - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Late to the convo, but…

I’d like to say that it is hard to fathom in this day and age that racial slurs still exist, but it is mind-blowing that racism still exists in Hughes’ generation. Passing this derogatory language and attitude onto the next generation is another obstacle that just keeps jumping out at me throughout this commentary.

17. dannythebisforbeast - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yeeeeeaaaaaa Booyyyyy!!!

-Flavor Flav

18. blzr409 - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The Pirates broadcast had very clear footage of what Hughes says. At no point does it appear that he says anything even remotely racist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIbWNqRPdeY

19. joelaw43 - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM

que the Entourage footage: “You want to hug it out?” “Let’s hug it out bitch!”

20. moogro - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Pie is better than cake. Sometimes if the frosting is removed cake is pretty good. I’m always bummed that we’re stuck with cake at weddings and such. That’s when I crave pie, motherf**ker.

21. raysfan1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

What surprises MRIs that so few see that there is a possibility that Phillips heard something he felt was racist and that Hughes did not say anything he felt was racist. In other words, both could be telling the truth. Hughes certainly did unleash a verbal tirade inPhillips direction, one laced with profanity. It’s no stretch to imagine him saying something that another angry person, Phillips, misconstrues. Even if he said “boy,” is it not conceivable he meant it as an expletive like “damn!” and not at that point actually calling Phillips “boy?”. On the other side, if you are Phillips, and you are in an argument, and the other person has just called you “mother____” twice, and you here him say the word “boy,” how are you going to take it? I doubt any angry African American is going to take that as blowing off steam. He might, after a phone conversation with Hughes, decide it wasn’t intentional or personal and thus not want to make abigdeal out of it, but he is still likely to feel it was racial.

The YouTube clip, at least on my iPad, has no sound, and I can’t claim to read lips at all. I can see where some either think Hughes says “boy” or spits or both. My guess is he said “boy” and meant it as an expletive, not a racial insult. However, standing in Phillips’ place, it would be amazing if he did not take it as a racial insult given the circumstances.

• raysfan1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM

MRIs? Damn iPad autocorrect. That was “What surprises me is….”. I forgot to hit the friggin’ spacebar and iPad changes it completely. Argh.

22. eightysixisback - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I am not saying that this means that hughes definitely didnt say something racist to phillips and if he did he deserves the criticism he is getting but a friend of mine played college baseball with one of the Reds players. He visits him several times throughout the season and has gone out with his friend and several of the other reds players a bunch of times in the past two years. The first time he visited his buddy phillips went out with them and a few other reds players to some sort of carnival or street fair or something like that. Phillips wore a shirt with his own name and picture on it when they went out. Apparently he needs to bring attention to himself. As soon as i heard the story about hughes i thought of my friend’s story about hanging out with phillips. It makes me think that phillips said all this about hughes just to get attention. If he did he is a total douche. (alreadys suspected that because who wears a shirt with their own name and picture on it like that? Someone who is starved for attention and very insecure.) He got himself some attention now but i guess it didnt occur to him or he didnt care that hughes is going to get all kinds of negative attention and have all kinds of people accusing him of being a racist. It probably doesnt matter to brandon phillips though, he got people talking about him that is all that matters for him i am sure.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3952)