Sep 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s been all quiet on the Manny front since the slugger asked for his release from a minor league contract with the A’s in June. Rather than trying to find another job, he took his bat and went home to Florida, and he’s been pretty much unheard from since.
USA TODAY’s Jorge L. Ortiz managed to track Ramirez down this week and talk to him at his home outside of Miami. He found a Ramirez more interested in God than getting back into baseball.
“I feel good. My family’s good,” Ramirez said. “Thanks to God, I have a peace I’d never had. I have an incredible peace.”
Today marks the first anniversary of Ramirez’s arrest and battery charge following a domestic disturbance involving his wife, Juliana. The charge was later dropped due to Juliana’s lack of cooperation, and husband and wife are currently living together with their two sons. Ramirez is still working out and hitting in a cage, but being a father is taking precedent for now.
“Sometimes I miss [baseball],” Ramirez said, “but I try to fill that void by taking my kids to their basketball games, their baseball games, taking them everywhere.”
Ramirez has no plans to go play in the Dominican Republic this winter. He hasn’t ruled out another comeback next year, but it sure does sound like he’s finished.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 7
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 7
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 17
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 59
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 23
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)