Manny Ramirez now more about God than baseball

Sep 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez AP

It’s been all quiet on the Manny front since the slugger asked for his release from a minor league contract with the A’s in June. Rather than trying to find another job, he took his bat and went home to Florida, and he’s been pretty much unheard from since.

USA TODAY’s Jorge L. Ortiz managed to track Ramirez down this week and talk to him at his home outside of Miami. He found a Ramirez more interested in God than getting back into baseball.

“I feel good. My family’s good,” Ramirez said. “Thanks to God, I have a peace I’d never had. I have an incredible peace.”

Today marks the first anniversary of Ramirez’s arrest and battery charge following a domestic disturbance involving his wife, Juliana. The charge was later dropped due to Juliana’s lack of cooperation, and husband and wife are currently living together with their two sons. Ramirez is still working out and hitting in a cage, but being a father is taking precedent for now.

“Sometimes I miss [baseball],” Ramirez said, “but I try to fill that void by taking my kids to their basketball games, their baseball games, taking them everywhere.”

Ramirez has no plans to go play in the Dominican Republic this winter. He hasn’t ruled out another comeback next year, but it sure does sound like he’s finished.

1. cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

A nice Manny story? Cool. I hope he does retire and stay that way.

2. kevinleaptrot - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Great defensive player and a great teammate. He still has a lot to give back to the game. Hopefully he’ll go into coaching or managing.

• willclarkgameface - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This Manny that you speak of, is it the same Manny that I have been watching for 20years?

Great defensive player and great teammate? On the first count, you’ve got to fucking be kidding me. As far as the great teammate claim, we’ll never know, but if you listen closely to former teammates you’ll hear little clues and hints that he was an absolute PRICK.

• gerryb323 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM

That darn sarcasm font must not be operating today!

3. metalhead65 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM

he has not been gone long enough for this type of story. it was nice not having to read about this cheater so why bring him up? I for 1 will be happy to never read about him again.

• ray1950 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The question is if he bothers you that much, why did you bother to read this one?

4. Jack Marshall - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This was predictable. Be selfish and irresponsible your whole career, then find God in time not to have to take responsibility—”turn the page, be at peace.” What an infuriating character.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Did he cut his hair? I think God would tell him to cut his hair.

• ajcardsfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Troy Palomalu would disagree with your statement

• paperlions - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I don’t think god is a fan of the Greek or Roman styles of hair cut most men sport these days….He didn’t give us fantastic locks of hair so we could go about cutting it to a few inches in length. It is disrespectful to his creation and will.

• mcsnide - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So God hates Calcaterra?

6. meteor32 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

You guys are a few months late on the scoop behind America’s Finest News Source:

7. kkolchak - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Funny how the jerks always managed to find God AFTER they have fallen back down the ladder and never while they are on top when someone might actually care.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That’s where God waits for you, like a doodlebug.

• raysfan1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Some folks don’t realize their need for others’ help, or God’s, until they hit bottom. That’s human nature.

8. sanzarq - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Hey, Manny – GET LOST! Don’t let the door hit your rear end on the way out, either!

• bravojawja - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

He was lost. The reporter went and found him.

9. 13yrsmlbvet - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Manny was by far the hardest working guy I ever worked with. He gets a bad rap from the media and fans run with it.

• hoopmatch - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Please elaborate on the time you worked with Manny and give examples of how hard he worked.

10. unlost1 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

vote: hall of fame= thumbs up; no=thumbs down

• mattyflex - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I think more people are going to laugh at you than vote in your poll.

• unlost1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

looks like the roids eliminates him. is that what you’re laughing about?

11. bigdicktater - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think the Giants ought to sign him for the rest of the year, they need some pop off the bench.

• manchestermiracle - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM

They do have a lot of history with juicers….

12. ravensoriolesnation - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

thats true raysfan , I myself need a radical convertion probably 10 years now I know about this PEACE that Manny is refering too… and my life has prospered in every area , serious……Jesus is the King, and He’s Spirit the Holy Spirit will set u on fire, in a very powerful way just ask Jesus and simply believe and receive……u will never be the same.WE ARE ETERNAL BEINGS were will you be for eternity is the real question, and please don’t make any rude or nasty comments about a Christians conversion, I’ve personally seen and witnessed God protecting He’s Children…..wow

• mazblast - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Let us know when you board the SS Coherence.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I remember that great George Carlin routine about God being terrible at managing money. Apparently, he can’t teach English either.

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Sweet Jesus Montero….is there something in the air leaching the sense out of people south of the border tonight? First I find diryhrry’s on the ‘ludes now I find this guy *facepalm*.

13. mazblast - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The fans have moved on from Manny and his eccentric behavior. Why don’t you sports writers and bloggers do the same?

As for his finding God–I didn’t know God was lost.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

He was behind the sofa. Fortunately, Manny dropped a lit roach back there and had to move it away from the wall to keep from burning down his house.

14. 24missed - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Manny deserves to be content and peaceful. Everyone should be so fortunate.

I’ll bet being around his kids more has made life so much sweeter.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I’m sure knowing he doesn’t have to take any more urine tests has made it sweeter too.

• 24missed - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Manny is surely one blessed guy. I wish I didn’t have to take any more urine tests. Oy.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3449)