Marlins play dead as Phillies complete three-game sweep

Sep 12, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen Getty Images

Is anyone involved with the Marlins even trying anymore?

Ownership isn’t. The team played with just 12 position players today, even though the it’s September and rosters can be expanded to 40.

Ozzie Guillen isn’t. Perhaps in protest of the limited roster he’s getting to work with, he just went three straight games without pinch-hitting for a position player. He also did next to nothing to back up Justin Ruggiano after his left fielder was tossed following a particularly horrendous ball-strike sequence today.

The players may be, but beyond Ruggiano, it’s hard to tell.

The Marlins were tied 1-1 in the top of the seventh today when John Buck walked to start the top of the inning against Cliff Lee. Time to manufacture a run, right? Nope. Donnie Murphy flied out to right, bringing up the pitcher’s spot. Josh Johnson might have had one inning left in him at the time, but certainly no more than that. It would have made a lot of sense to go to the bench and try to score that run.

Well, at least, it would have made a lot of sense had the Marlins possessed a right-handed hitter to bring in. The only righty on the bench today was Austin Kearns, who entered the game when Ruggiano was ejected. Rather than go to a left-handed hitter, Guillen left Johnson in to bunt. Johnson popped it up for an out, and Lee then retired Gorkys Hernandez to end the inning. Johnson came back out for the bottom of the seventh, gave up a two-run homer to Jimmy Rollins and the Marlins lost 3-1.

That, by the way, made it a three-game sweep for the Phillies, who are now over .500 at 72-71.

1. dizoakiusmaximus - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I see this less as an article about how bad the Marlins are, and more of an article about how the Phillies are in the middle of turning their season around. But that’s just me.

2. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Are the marlins not calling up a few minor leaguers just to save money? is there any other reason? They was clearly more ammo on the phillies’ bench than on the marlins’ bench. “Knife to a gun fight” kinda disparity on the benches.

3. phillytalk215 - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

look out! 15-4 in their last 19 and only 3.5 out of the 2nd wild card. if they can find a way to keep this up I feel bad for the rest of baseball

• thebadguyswon - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

LOL….great run, but lets not get carried away.

• dannythebisforbeast - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

make that 3 games, and coming up fast

• dondada10 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I’m a Mets fan and I give the Phils credit. They have played well in September since ’07.

4. xmatt0926x - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I watched all three games and there does seem to be a distinct difference in energy level between the two teams. We’d all like to think that pro athletes go all out all the time but nothing stops human nature. They have nothing to play for, vacation is coming in three weeks and they are acting like it. Does Jose Reyes even think about stealing bases anymore? You’d think they would let a few youngsters play just to generate some enthusiasm on that team.

5. thebadguyswon - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Jose Reyes is second in the National League in steals.

• xmatt0926x - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I know Badguys. I meant more so in the context of what the story was about, which was the Marlins looking kind of dead in this particular series. Reyes was on base today and usually you’d think he’d be a threat to steal at least 2nd base. Today it just seemed like he was on 1st and he’d advance on the basepaths only if someone after him got a hit. I probably should have worded it differently when i first said it. I will now go flog myself.

6. kvanhorn87 - Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM

No real story about josh Johnson’s great outing? Sounds like bait. Trying to take credit of phillies 7th straight and acting like the entire marlins team laid down for this series. Well played.

• ch0psuey - Sep 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM

I thought the same thing, No hits by the Phillies until the bottom of the 6th and no word about it? Kind of sketchy if you ask me.

7. sabatimus - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

This is the quietest I’ve heard Ozzie in a long time. Good.

8. tfoz5150 - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Sorry excuse for an article. I can’t even line my birdcage with this. Where’s the love for the home team turning it on down the stretch? Typical PFT/HBT B.S.!!!

• dondada10 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

PFT : HBT :: Jason Bay : Mike Trout

9. sneschalmers - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Wow, the Phillies are back over .500 and only 3.5 back of the wild card?

I WANT TO BELIEVE http://cybermeez.com/scully/scully31.jpg

10. tfoz5150 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Make that 3 and Milwaukees losing.

11. dannythebisforbeast - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Moving on Up…Liske George and Weezie

• dannythebisforbeast - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

*like.

12. dondada10 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Guillen has to be out as manager when the season ends, right?

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I doubt it. Scrooge McLoria staked too much on bringing him in, and between you and me, I bet Scrooge secretly loves Castro too. I mean, if not for heem, there would be no legions of Cuban fans packing Macondo Bananan Massacre Field every night, right?

Matthew’s right, but it isn’t necessarily easy to extrapolate from the Feesh’s apparent lack of energy to their inability to drive in runs. They’ve been at or near the bottom of the majors in runs scored, and at or near the bottom in RISP, for two years now. You can attribute some of it to lethargy, to thinking about trout fishing in October instead of moving the guy on second along or driving in the guy on third. On the other hand, you can also look at the consistent pattern of futility over the past couple of years and conclude, with equal justification, that these guys just suck as seetuational heeters. They haven’t been taught to focus, or else they just don’t want to learn.

As a Feesh fan from the first day Charlie Hough took the mound at (then) Joe Robbie Stadium, it’s been frustrating. I hated the idea of importing Slobbering Ozzie to manage from his earliest round of arguments with Kenny Williams. I’ve been screaming for an RBI guy since the beginning of last orfseason to address the RISP problem.I stood on my head and pissed on the ceiling while waving my arms around trying to get the notochord trust’s attention with my please to go trade for Aramis Ramirez – but that would have violated Feesh policy, in place since Mike Lowell was run out of town, of never playing a real third baseman at third base. I was aghast at some of the trades the Feesh shot down because they didn’t want to part with the mediocre-at-best Tweeter. As a fallback strategy, I’ve been calling for this hapless team to get blown up since June. The trades in late July looked like a start but they amount more to running over a fertilizer-packed IED than the tactical nuke this team is begging for.

But fortunately, no one listened. Instead, Larry Beinfest is on the hot seat now, not me. Something to be grateful for: I never had the job, so I’m not the one in danger of losing it. Phew.

13. willclarkgameface - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This Ozzie experiment is shit.

I mean, the ball park is a fucking catastrophe right down to the colors they chose.
    Florida baseball in general is as exciting as watching paint dry.

Fire Ozzie, bring in some other dope to manage this mediocre talent, and fade off into 4th place for the next few years. I’m tired of the Marlins although admittedly I haven’t liked them since first seeing them on the World Wide Leader (in shit) in 1993.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Never did get over seeing J T Snow get tagged out at the plate, did you?

14. johngaltx - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

During his pre-game show last month, Clinton Hurdle stated that each call-up cost $75,000 salary plus per-deim and travel costs. He also said the Pirates were not going to bring up guys just to sit around on the bench for that kind of money. If they couldn’t contribute, they were not comming up. The Marlins probably took that theory to extreme.

All the trade deadline news to know