Sep 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Mike Napoli has been out since August 11 with a quadriceps injury, but the Rangers catcher took a big step in his recovery yesterday by spending seven innings behind the plate in a minor-league rehab game.
In addition to catching seven innings Napoli went 0-for-2 with a hit by pitch in Game 2 of the Double-A playoffs and T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that he could be back in the Rangers’ lineup as soon as this weekend.
Napoli’s injury combined with the Rangers’ decision to part with Yorvit Torrealba has left Geovany Soto as their primary catcher. Soto, who was acquired from the Cubs on July 31, has started 24 of the past 30 games while hitting just .219 with a .639 OPS for the Rangers.
Even while seeing his OPS drop nearly 300 points compared to last season’s breakout Napoli posted a .771 OPS with 17 homers in 92 games before being shut down.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)