NBC SportsTalk: Brandon Phillips confirms that, yes, Jared Hughes said something racist, but it’s all over now

Sep 12, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

brandon phillips getty Getty Images

The ugly comment threads that developed following the Brandon Phillips-Jared Hughes posts yesterday were made ugly when a number of people decided — based on nothing other than their own preconceptions and prejudices, it seemed — that no, there’s no way Jared Hughes could have said something racist to Brandon Phillips. That it must be Phillips who is the racist, and he must by lying! Oh, and white folks are the real victims of racism these days.

You think that’s an exaggeration? Go back and read the comments if you have the stomach for it. I assure you, it’s not an exaggeration. People actually said that stuff.

However, Brandon Phillips went on NBC SportsTalk last night, and was interviewed by Erik Kuselias. The video is below. There are two takeaways from it:

(1) The issue is in the past, as he and Hughes talked it out, they came away with it with newfound respect for each other, and it’s over; BUT

(2) When asked point blank if something racist was said, he said yes, something racist was said (go to 1:50):

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Obviously this is over now. Phillips was surprised and understandably agitated about it on Monday night, as he noted it was the first time he had ever heard such a thing on the diamond. Despite this, Phillips is putting it in the past, made it clear that he’s not going to make a federal case out of it and wants to move on. Good for him for being so levelheaded. We should move on too.

But all of you guys who jumped to immediately scoff at the notion that something racist was said — the people who, it always seems, want to offer any remotely possible explanation for an event, however ridiculous, before acknowledging that racism still exists in this country — should take note.

133 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Deadspin reported that the racist comment was that Hughes called Phillips “boy”.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Yeah…that was my guess yesterday after seeing the replay.
      As I said then…I am certainly not a professional lip reader but #4 seemed to say the word “boy” several times. Regardless, I am just glad they worked it out like Adults.
      It’s refreshing really. Well done by everyone involved.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Sorry StLouis1Baseball, your comment well sensible and calm. It clearly has no place on this thread. I urge you immediately say something mind-numbingly ignorant as to not have this post stick out like a sore thumb. Like, “9/11 was an inside job!”, or compare someone to Hitler or something.

Otherwise, we risk the fear of others taking your lead and turning the comment threads of HardballTalk back into an avenue where people at least *attempt* to actually add to a story with their own insights.

• Marty - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

You can’t say “your boy Obama” without Sharpton firing off a national campaign, so Craig, excuse the sensitivity some have to the accusation. Glad you were do sure of yourself.

BTW, I hope your boy Maholm gets it done tonight.

2. indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

“It does exist, it does happen, and your desire to pretend otherwise — or, to go even further and actually claim that white people are the real victims of racism — is pretty frickin’ astounding.”

Word. As I mentioned in another post yesterday, is McCutchen available to mediate this discussion board? Yesterday, things got ugly.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Looks like McCutchen’s needed again here today. Dang man. Now we’re debating the semiotics and history of the word “boy”. I admit, I’m not helping much today, what with poking that idiot skids, but I’m pretty tired of this bullshit. There’s a whole slew of nutters trying to pretend that they never heard of “context”, never knew that “boy” was a racist term so a white person probably shouldn’t say that to a black person, and that Brandon Phillips is indeed a big fat liar (because NO WAY a white guy with a bit of a history of being a nut would say such a thing, ohmystars&garters). There’s even the contingent of “Phillips shouldn’t have said anything about it”. I guess he’s just making trouble, just like that dang Rosa Parks. Keep quiet, do as your told, pretend it doesn’t happen. Same tired screed I’ve been hearing coming out of that country for decades. Between the economy, the healthcare, the violence, and this bullshit I don’t know how you stand it there, ‘burg, I really don’t. I guess the weather’s nice.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, the weather is nice down here in the South. Most all of us get along just fine. Keep poking ,cur, you make my day.

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The weather is nice but I miss the seasons. I was one of those who threatened to move to Canada after the 2004 election (under 37 and college educated were the requirements, I think?), but I didn’t want to hand my country over to idiots and give up on it completely. I believe there is still a lot of good and potential in most Americans, but some loud voices drown out the most reasonable among us, because, you know we’re reasonable and we don’t yell. You know what happens when good people do nothing.

Don’t even get me going on healthcare. Our system makes me sick. I witnessed a young man refuse a much needed appendectomy. Why? Because he and his dad owned a small construction business and couldn’t afford health insurance and in his words, he couldn’t afford to pay for the surgery. His mother and wife were crying because he wouldn’t sign the consent. I closed the door and laid it out. Your appendix will rupture and you will die from a massive infection. The hospital bills insurance companies differently than people. When you get the bill, tell them to give you the discounted insurance rate because you can’t afford whatever the bill is. Tell them you can pay them $50 a month or whatever until it is paid off. The hospital won’t go after you as long as you’re making good faith payments. He finally agreed to sign the consent. After I left the room, I wanted to cry in anger. No one should have to make that choice.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Thanks for your input Cur. And you are dead on.
        Your scenario is very much possible.
        I just can’t get by the fact that I find it incredibly difficult to understand why Cutch would back Hughes (if indeed it was a racist comment). Please know I fully appreciate your explanation of what happened with you (possibly being very similar in this situation). It is just hard to understand McCutchen doing it in this particular situation.
        I could see him saying…Dude (Hughes)…you made your bed…now you gotta’ lie in it.
        Either way…I am hoping they truly did make amends and can put it to rest.

3. skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

So Phillips said something racist was said. So it must have been.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

So you’re accusing him of being a liar?

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I’m not accusing anyone of anything. I just made a statement Craig, that he said something was said, so it must have been. Why are you jumping to such a quick conclusion? Sounds like you are looking for trouble, or reading too much into my state,ment.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Craig, look in the mirror at your own prejudices. Ryan Braun must have the benefit of the doubt, but Jared Hughes must be guilty? Come on!

I have looked at my comments. I said that it is an unsubstantiated accusation. And it is. Period. You don’t know what really happened, and neither do I

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Huh, what prejudice is involved here? Never mind the fact that I’m sure Craig never said either of those things.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Only blog writers are allowed to jump to conclusions and throw stones. This should have been handlded without Twitter between the two, and McCutcheon, not plastered all over the media.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

@church – what I am syaing is that Craig whips out his law degree and talks about “Innocent until proven guilty” when PED’s are involved (“Failed Drug test? So what? We still don’t know what happened due to CBA language about Fedex shipments”), and in this case he is Martin Luther King who could care less about proof “(Phillips said it + Racism exists = guilty).

No one know what was really said. Period.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Did he really say that, or did he say that we should abide by the Arbiter’s ruling the Braun wasn’t caught? You may think I’m splitting hairs, but there’s a huge difference between the two. And as a lawyer, I’m sure Craig understands that innocent until proven guilty is a function of the courts, not public opinion.

and in this case he is Martin Luther King who could care less about proof

Wtf, seriously. Dr. King didn’t care about proof? Where do you come up with this shit?

• thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Re: Delaware

Craig uses his law degree and experience as a lawyer when discussing laws and the US Court system. The burden of proof needed in our courts need not apply to all (or any)events that take place outside the courts’ confines. Craig is not trying to convict Hughes of anything here. But you have to be pretty delusional to think that Phillips is not, for all intents and purposes, a victim of racism here. Regardless of intent, Phillips heard something said in a derogatory manner that can and was construed as racist.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM

@ church, take a chill pill. I was typing fast, and while perhaps it appears I was saying MLK did not care about truth, I was not. I am sayign Craig does not care about proof in this case, not MLK, who if I am not mistaken, has not issued an opinion in this case.

I could spend all day quoiting stuff Craig said about Braun and burdens of proof, it is very well known what his thoughts were. Go read the articles

No one know what was said between Phillips and Hughes, except those two. One said it was racist, the otehr said it was not. Typically in disputes, Craig takes the legal angle. In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty, and I am calling him out for ignoring that fact.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Except no you aren’t. In a court of law you are innocent until proven guilty. There are many walks of life that don’t abide by those rules.

As to Craig, of course he takes the legal angle, he’s a lawyer. Now, let’s look at some of his comments:

But hey, if you still want to crap on Braun — if you still want to say “but his testosterone levels were high, so he’s suspect” or “MLB has egg on its face because the testing failed” — fine. Do so. It’s a free country. But if you do so, admit that you do it because you simply don’t like the results here. And spare me any whining about the past, and about how Major League Baseball was so lax in testing for so many years before now.

The response I expect to that is “well, just because procedures weren’t followed doesn’t mean that Braun didn’t take something!” My response: you’re right. We don’t know that. And we can’t know that, because the testing program is not nor can it reasonably be expected to be one that decides absolute guilt or absolute innocence. In this it’s just like the criminal justice system which never determines actual innocence. It determines the lack of guilt. It does this because the burden is on the accuser and not the accused, same as with the drug testing procedure.

Except in the drug testing world the burden is way, way lower than “beyond a reasonable doubt.” All MLB has to do is take a sample and test it properly, while adhering to a relatively simple set of procedures. If MLB, in this case, could not be bothered to do even that, then neither it nor anyone else has cause to label Ryan Braun a drug user.

Those are just a few comments from Craig. He pretty much avoided the comment section altogether. Also, most of the articles I found from HBT were written by Drew, oddly enough.

So where’s the proclaiming of innocent until proven guilty?

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Now it appears as if the Pirates are calling him a liar. What say you, Craig?

• deathmonkey41 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You’re talking to a guy who probably thinks anyone who disagrees with the President is a racist, rightwing hatemonger.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

If disagreeing with the President means insisting that you haven’t seen his real certificate of birth because it says “Hawaii” and not “Kenya” then, yeah, you probably are a racist.

But you want to disagree with the President and, for example, insist that he is a Socialist driven to bankrupt America by implementing a nationwide health care plan, then, no, you’re not being a racist. You’re still missing a lot in your criticisms of the man, but race, in that incident, wouldn’t be one of them.

I hope this eases your mind.

**beats head against keyboard oh-so gently**

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

koufax, I know you find this hard to believe, but I agree with you. I would like to see his college records though.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

And I’d like to see Romney’s taxes.

At the end of the day, Skids, it’s really just a one party system. Corporations rule the roost, and they make it hard for everyone to get their leg up. Unless, of course, you want to join them.

In which case, watch out for the glass ceilings, back stabbers, and pension fund pirates. They come in all shapes and sizes.

• thefalcon123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I agree with skids. I really need to see his college transcripts, it’s of the utmost importance. How can I ever be confident in a President who got a “C” in creative writing?

4. kkolchak - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I didn’t scoff, but I was skeptical. And I still am. It is still Phillips’s word against Hughes. Yes, there is still plenty of racism in the world today. Yes, it would be wrong if Hughes said something racist to Phillips. But it would also be wrong to hang Hughes out to dry without knowing exactly what was said. If Phillips didn’t want to “make a federal case out of it” he should have been far more discreet in how he handled the whole thing.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Be careful how you say that kkolchak, Craig is very sensative this morning.

• mrfloydpink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

If you are skeptical, perhaps you can answer these three questions:

1. Why would this have happened on the day it did, if there wasn’t actually something racist said? Do you think Brandon Phillips woke up and said, “I think I’ll smear a white person’s reputation today”?

2. Why did Phillips and Hughes have a phone conversation? What exactly would two antagonistic players on different teams have to discuss?

3. Why hasn’t Hughes come out and issued a denial, if indeed he is being unfairly maligned with a very serious accusation?

And here’s a bonus question: Would you believe Hughes if he said that Phillips had used a racial slur?

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Question one is nonsensical. I mean, did Hughes wake up and say ” you know what, i’m going to racially disparage a black man today in front of thousands of poeple “.

• kkolchak - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Answers:

1). Phillips is an immature idiot who has handled this whole situation atrociously, regardless of what Hughes said or didn’t say.

2). I don’t know, and neither do you.

3). I would reserve judgment until I knew all of the facts, BUT I would also take into account how the accuser handled the situation. To accuse someone and then try to walk away from it like nothing happened is classless at best.

5. steveohho - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I know, I know. That is why we need all these “racism” stories that the press loves to write about. These stories must be good for comments and click throughs. Need one a day.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM

So you’d prefer that it was never written about, ever?

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I can’t recall the last racism based post before yesterdays, so first off, you’re generalizing. If you wanted to complain about an innundation of Bryce Harper posts, I could see it. Racism not so much.

Secondly, it is a topic worth talking about, not something you sweep under the rug. Hate crimes and blatant bigotry amd racism are about the most basic, senseless, stupid acts the human race participates in. If indeed he said something, and we only have Phillips’ word on this mind you, then he should be called out on it. Excuses like “it was just a joke” or ” I lost my cool” just don’t cut it anymore.

So yes, it is topical, and ugly, and hopefully as the generations go on, it truly becomes the forgotten issue you think it should be. Today it is not.

• mrfloydpink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Damn right, steveohho–damn these minorities and their damn liberal allies in the press. Since we solved the problem of racism what, 10-20 years ago, there’s absolutely no need to talk about it any more, right? Clearly, they are just being uppity. They should know their damn place!

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I guess there are no liberal racists in this country. AT least that’s what liberals would have you believe. That way they can use it to gain and keep power.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Skids, sentence one has merit, I do believe it is rare that anyone left leaning is painted as a racist, save for maybe an individual or two who are prominent and loud.

Your last sentence makes me think you might seek professional help for that paranoia you’ve got going there.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I don’t need professional help to see the truth. Others are finally figuring this out too. You libs demonize everyone that doesn’t agree with you in a vicious manner, yet preach of being sensitive and tolerant of others. It is totally hypocritical.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM

skids is mental. True fact. He got “libs” behind every bush. I bet he likes to pretend that the years 2001-2009 didn’t happen. Don’t bother arguing with him: crazy.

• skids003 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Actually cur, until the Dems took over Congress, the first 6 weren’t so bad.

6. alexo0 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM

If I’m Hughes, I might be a little pissed that Phillips confirmed that after everything seemed to be taken care of. Do you think the media will let that go now? Kind of a sublte-cheap move by Phillips.

7. saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Of course racism still exists. Over in enlightened, uber-liberal Europe, black soccer players get bananas thrown at them during games (and worse). It is an ugly problem everywhere in this world. And it is not limited to one race against one race. I know that Craig will be “astounded” to hear this, but plenty of white people have been victims of racism. A famous one is Reginald Denny. That doesn’t mean that whites don’t have it far better in our country, for the most part.

Honestly, I wish that McCutchen would make a statement and clear things up. I’d always rather hear from the mediator. But McCutchen is probably too classy to give this any more public play.

I wonder if Hughes had called Phillips a “whiny bitch” for acting like one after getting pegged, if Phillips would have been totally cool with it and acted like they were best friends the next day? Methinks not.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

So its STILL Phillips fault Hughes called him a “boy”? Gotcha.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

How in the world did you get that from what I wrote? Even for you, Cur, that’s pretty stupid.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Stooping to ad hominem insults is smart, eh? Gotcha.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

That’s pretty much the response I expected out of you to my question – total dodge.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I love how you go around giving yourself a thumb up, too. Says a lot about you.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

And now you’ve retreated to the lamest, un-provable accusation that can be made on here. Good for you. Now pretend to be a mod and “confirm” your accusation. But do not, under any circumstance, actually answer anyone who questions your stance. That would not go well.

8. aklolzer - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Craig, you act like white people are never the victim of racism. Have you ever heard Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton speak?

• mrfloydpink - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Way to copy and paste the same asinine point you made yesterday. Well done!

• thefalcon123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

So, if Craig ever writes an article about racism, he has to add a paragraph about how whites are the victims of racism sometimes too?

By the way, overwhelming whites *aren’t* the victims of racism. I mean, there are cases of women raping men, but overwhelming, that problem is the other way around.

9. thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Craig, thank you for this post. I normally wouldn’t dive into such comment threads, but I was utterly disgusted by the mental gymnastics people were (and apprarently still are) going thru in order to make the events fit personal biases.

• thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

And thanks for the continued reminders, fellow commenters, of how horrible the few instances of black on white racism must be. Ignore the weight of American history. Bring back focus on the truly important things here.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I assume you are talking about my reference to Reginald Denny. I wasn’t saying that was more important, but Craig said that whites are not real victims of racism. That is simply not true. You can find examples of every race and ethnicity being victims and perpetrators of bigotry, and it really doesn’t take much digging.

But that doesn’t change the fact that this country has a history of black oppression. That can not be denied, nor should it be.

Pardon me, though, if I have a hard time mustering up a ton of empathy for a multi-millionaire super star being called boy by some two-bit, redneck chump. Brandon Phillips just isn’t Rosa Parks, and he never will be.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

but Craig said that whites are not real victims of racism.

That’s not what he said at all. He was mocking those who were saying that whites are the true victims of racism in this country because of how absurd that notion is. It’s the same as those in the Religious Right who think that Christianity is being persecuted.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

One straw man begets another, I suppose.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

One straw man begets another, I suppose.

Craig’s comments aren’t straw men though. If you reread the thread, there are actual people saying the things he’s mocking. He didn’t conjure those comments out of thin air.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’d love to see an actual quote. I saw many posts where that straw man was brought up immediately, and that was not what people were saying. While their comments may have been ignorant, not a single one of those comments said anything to the effect that it was whites who have it the worst. They said that there were instances where whites felt the effects of racism. While their examples may have missed the mark, their overall point is surely correct.

But we all read what we want to read in other people’s words, especially when it comes to highly charged political matters.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’d love to see an actual quote.

tom1954 – Sep 11, 2012 at 6:55 AM
        It’s been my experience that the first person to scream racism is usually the racist.

pjmarn6 – Sep 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM
        Would Jesse Jackson like to take back his racist comment?:
        “There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

That one is hilarious on it’s own end, b/c he thought JJ was being racist against white people. Point still stands though…

sfm073 – Sep 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM
        I wonder how many racist things white plyers in the nfl and nba deal with?

florida727 – Sep 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM
        I really don’t give a damn how many thumbs-downs I get, I’ll share my thoughts anyway. Frankly, I’m sick and tired of every time a black person doesn’t get their way, it’s freaking “racism”. Screw you. Overcome it and quit whining about it like a 5th grade girl. I’m white and I have been discriminated against. I was up for a prominent TV job and was told, point-blank, “if you were black or at least female, I’d hire you right now”. So do you really think I give a sh!t about some guy making millions of dollars playing a game and barking about racism? Short answer: NO.

Those are just the examples from that thread.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

No a single example you have there states in any way, shape, or form that whites are THE real victims of racism.

A couple, however, are stating that whites can be the victims of racism. So if it is that which Craig and you are referring to, then my argument was not at all based on a straw man.

10. steveohho - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

“Secondly, it is a topic worth talking about”

Thats we all come to Hardball talk to have our Oprah moment. I feel like crying now. I need a hug!

11. Matt Bandi - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Root Sports showed a replay of Hughes barking at Phillips while he went to first. The only thing he said before settling into a silent glare was, “Hey man. Throw that ball in the f***ing dugout, m*****f*****.”

Who knows what was said at other points in the inning, but I don’t see anything wrong with that initial exchange. And the link below indicates that Phillips heard the racist comment as he was going to first.

As Phillips walked to first base, he believed he heard Hughes call him “boy,” which Phillips took as a racial slur. Hughes denied making any such comment.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Hughes is not allowed to deny anything. Craig has closed this case, and he found the defendant guilty.

If you disagree, then you are racist, too!

12. Stiller43 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Just because one person says something doesnt make it true, Craig.

Dont know what the whole high and mighty “oh em gee some people didnt believe brandon phillips!!!” thing is about, but it’s pretty annoying.

• thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

That “thing” is about how people continue to find fault in the victim here. And call him a liar, because that is how they want to see things.

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I love how you will fight to your death for poor Brandon Phillips, but you want to sweep Reginald Denny under the rug.

Good for you. Glad you have your priorities straight in life.

Perhaps one day, BP will be able to pull himself out of the oppressive hole that society has pounded him into.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So because one white guy was assaulted due to his race, it’s even steven now?

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ooo! You’re right, saints! He’s rich! He’s got no right to complain, like ever! He should just keep quiet and not be so uppity, right?

Oh and please post where someone swept Reginald Denny under the metaphorical rug on these comments, eh? I missed that one.

• thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Yes I am defending Brandon Phillips in a comment section of a Brandon Phillips artice. Not sure why that is so odd.

Please keep bringing up one instance of black on white racism that is completely unrelated to this story. You do not want to play a numbers game with this. I choose to ignore your mentions of it because it is beyond ridiculous and has no place in discussion of this incident.

How does Brandon Phillips’ success/wealth change how we should view this racially-charged incident?

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Okay, guys. I get it. Your side is the only one that can use historical events as evidence.

For what it is worth, I like BP. I think he’s a good guy. I think this whole incident is being blown out of proportion. BP is over it, but some of you are not.

But you guys will continue to read crap into what I write that is not there. I don’t really care. None of you actually defend your own bullshit. You paint me as a racist, or a racism apologist, when I have done nothing of the sort.

Brandon Phillip’s is fine. He has a secure sense of self. You guys, apparently, do not. So keep raging against the tyranny of life and make the world a better place. It is certainly your right. And don’t let facts get in the way of your rage. That can be inconvenient.

• thereisaparty - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Please point out one of my comments that has used a statement that is not factual. Or find an instance in one of my replies where I am reading into “crap” that you did not write.

I have not tried to paint anyone as a racist. Infer at your own risk.

13. thatyankeedude - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Brandon Phillips is my favorite player on the reds. He had a heck of a game last night and I actually got to see it. Dat dudes a beast and I don’t get why he’s getting so much flack right now. I believe racism DOES go BOTH ways and you really can’t deny the historical context of that. Terrible groups such as the Kkk and the black panthers have resulted in racism going both ways. Wish Hughes wouldn’t have said anything to Phillips but I think that may have been something brandon should have kept to himself. I don’t think we will see another player go about his business quite like Jackie Robinson but he would have wound up stealing all 3 bases and carrying on his merry way with nothing said. However if this did offend brandon enough for him to say something I think that he and Hughes should talk it out and it sounds like the problem is solved anyway but at least they should talk and get it resolved. They both make millions playing the game they love and there is no need for any truly hateful remarks. Not the you suck I hate your team comments but the comments that sting.

14. daubs17 - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Great story and comments Craig. Funny how because Phillips said something racist was said to him, you automatically and unjustly jump to the conclusion that Phillips is telling the truth and Hughes said something racist….the same way you are chastising those for doubting Phillips version of events. Your a writer behind a computer screen and we are all readers making comments behind a computer screen. The only people who can say or attest to what happened are those on the field who actually saw it and heard it. End of story.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yes., He who shouts loudest and with the most Updings wins the argument!

After all, this is a Democracy! With the 1st Amendment and a Constitution!

Fuck Yeah!

15. danaking - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

We keep assuming one side is racist, or lying. This could be a matter of misperception.

I am white, from Pennsylvania. I taught for a couple of years in a predominantly black high school in DC’s Maryland suburbs. One day I had a phone conversation with the guardian of one of my students, which went somewhat awkwardly. (The uncle was a former musician and didn’t think I was teaching his nephew properly. I responded with we could debate that all, but it’s moot; he’s not practicing.) The call ended and I forgot all about it.

Next day my supervisor called me in to ask if i had made a racial slur during the call. “No,” was my first answer,. The we talked, and i realized I had use the phrase “you people” when referring to the family as a whole. Where I grew up, “you people” is often used as the plural of “you,” not unlike “you all” is used farther south. (Or “all y’all” way down south.) To this black, more southern gentleman, it was slur. When I thought about it, I could see where he might take offense, though none was intended. I called him, we talked about it, and we came away with a better understanding of each others. I’ve also never used that term again, no matter how I meant it. As it turned out, the uncle and I wound up teaching in the same school a couple of years later and got along quite well, having taken the time to listen to each other.

I don’t know what Hughes might have said. I’m not defending him if he did say something racist, or even racially insensitive. (There is a difference.) If just saying people seem to be jumping to a conclusion one way or the other, and this may have been no more than a mistake, or moment of insensitivity, which I believe more today than yesterday, considering how quickly Phillips and Hughes got it sorted out, with McCutchen’s help.

If I had to guess, Hughes said something he shouldn’t have said, misjudging how it would be received. McCutchen knows Hughes, figured as much, and served as the cooler head that prevailed. Just guessing.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Wow. A reasonable person. Nice to meat you. Don’t let the crazy people get ahold of you, okay? It’ll be Children Of The Corn all over the place if they do. Good luck.

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Good story, dana. Shows how much can come out of simply listening to one other, rather than just yelling epithets at each other.

• shawndc04 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

It’s been really depressing reading these comments. Your post is far and away the most sensible and reasonable of them all.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

sorry, had to

16. hbegley6672 - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM

It does exist and it does happen. Doesn’t mean that it happened here, doesn’t mean that it didn’t. Comments that over the top defend, or over the top accuse are the real problem. Why? Because we don’t know. If he said it, it’s a disgrace. PERIOD! Have the courage to say that Craig, and stop pandering…

17. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Didn’t this used to be the comments section of a baseball blog?

Am I in the wrong place?

• kiwicricket - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Second

18. Marty - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

All I can say is that there are some fair criticisms of Craig’s ridiculous statements here. It’s up to him to consider them, but predjudice is one hell of a trait to get over.

19. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I don’t know if Craig was referring to my comments specifically, but I never once said Phillips wasn’t called a racial name. What my entire point was, and where I said Phillips was 100% wrong, was that he wasn’t transparent enough in his stupid little tweet and to me, that was entirely unfair to the Pirates organization. His tweet should have included something like “Hughes call me “boy”” Because the way he worded it was way too vague and left way too much open to assumptions. Which lead to the thread Craig is referring to.

I don’t mean to sound like I am excusing the idiocy and racial insensitivity in that thread. I’m not. All I am saying is that Phillips should have been more transparent when he tweeted what he did the other night.

But maybe, in some ways, how he handled it helped to expose some closet racists prowling the HBT board. I know the one thing I read, where blacks should be happy they were brought to America because “would they be better off still in Africa” made me pretty freaking nauseous.

20. steelerfanforlife - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Not saying it didn’t happen but what was Phillips going to say, “no I made the whole thing up”??

21. joshfrancis50 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Angry, jump to conclusion sanctimonious comment here.

22. nolanwiffle - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Brandon Phillips left the New Era cap size sticker on the bill of his cap. That makes him a moron, in my opinion. This is all completely unrelated to the incident that sparked all of this riveting debate……but it needed to be said, nonetheless.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Flat brim, turned to 0230 hours, too. That’s also unforgivable. Where the eff did that stupid fashion statement come from?

23. ningenito78 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Went back and read the comments. Seemed like a debate and mostly appropriate comments. If it really is because he called him ‘boy’ well I think that’s a stretch. But whatever. But my opinion is if you throw the race card on the table you really should clarify so as not to allow what is happening right now and allowing people to come to their own uninformed conclusions about the type of person Hughes is or whatever. That’s BS in my book. But Craig I think you’re a little over the top. The comments weren’t that bad. Just people giving their opinion for the most part.

24. phranksta - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Racism against whites happens every day.. Is the writer delusional?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Start naming some instances. I’ll sit here and wait…

• saints97 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

No you won’t. You will scoff at anything that is said. Ever talk to a white kid that went to a predominantly black school? I’m guessing you haven’t.

The whole root comes down to the tyranny of the powerful majority over a weak minority. It doesn’t happen because one color or race is inherently more evil than another. It happens because we are all imperfect humans that must be taught to be civilized because our natural state is tribal, barbaric assholes.

This is no excuse for boorish behavior amongst adults. It really is not that hard to treat people with respect. We just default to garbage sometimes. Look no further than Cur. He admonished me for calling his comment predictably stupid 33 minutes after he called another person mental and crazy.

And now I see he’s accusing me of giving myself thumbs up. I wish a mod could set him straight. I never do that to my own posts, and I never thumbs down anyone arguing directly with me. I enjoy the back and forth, and I really don’t see what good those (thumb ratings) do anyway. I do admit to giving thumbs up to any post that makes me laugh.

25. rathipon - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I can’t argue with Craig that racism still exists in this country. But the fact that something exists doesn’t necessarily make it very relevant. It seems to me that if an incident of racism on the baseball diamond is shocking and unexpected -a news event-, then it’s a classic situation where the exception proves the rule. If incidents of racism happened with regularity, as they did in the not so distant past, then I doubt the comments section would be so very fired up about Mr. Phillips’ specific allegations. That we are so shocked such a thing could happen demonstrates that.. racism is shocking (and no longer the norm).

• paperlions - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Except, of course, that racist acts occur every second of every day in every state and country in the world….the vast majority of them just aren’t screamed in a public venue during a broadcast. Even most flaming racists are smart enough to know when it is safe to express their racism and when it is not. When I was working in land survey in a southern state, the tone of conversations and word choice immediately changed when the only people around were white guys….it was like a competition to see who could say the most racist or misogynistic thing. The fact that they were smart enough to not say those things in the company of non-white guys doesn’t make them non-racists.

In fact, the president of the university I attended down there was eventually fired because during a conversations with the out-going dean of the law school about replacement candidates “I’ll never have that c*nt as dean of my law school” when a female professors name was brought up. Not the smartest thing to say in front of a lawyer, after affidavits were filed and made public, he resigned…probably still confused as to why a white guy ratted him out.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

What’s interesting to me, as a northern who has now lived in NC for 4+ years, is how the language has changed. There’s still the absurd use of the n-word, but there are also people who’ve realized what they say will be perceived as racist, so they try to hide it. As a reference, if you are in the south and someone starts talking about a “Canadian”, they aren’t referring to our friends from the North.

• paperlions - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Perspective is a funny thing. I grew up outside StL, and while living in the south I never noticed anything racist when I visited the family. Now I’ve lived in CT for 6 years, and I can’t believe the racist comments I hear when I’m home. Either I notice them now because I am not exposed to them as much as I was when I lived in the south or my family suddenly became a bunch of racists (I’m pretty much the only member of the family that left home…everyone else is still in the area). I honestly don’t think they have changed at all….I just see more clearly because there is better contrast with my daily environment now.

• cur68 - Sep 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Wait…are you intimating that my nationality is a racial slur in parts of your country? GTFOH!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline