Sep 12, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
In a 162-game marathon it’s easy to lose sight of which teams have played well following a rough first couple months or which teams have faded since a fast start, so with about three weeks remaining in the season let’s take a look at the best records since the All-Star break.
First up, the National League:
W L Reds 39 19 Nationals 39 20 Phillies 34 21 Braves 35 23 Padres 34 22 Giants 34 22
Cincinnati, Washington, Atlanta, and San Francisco are likely all headed for the playoffs with the four best overall records in the league, but Philadelphia and San Diego have turned things around in a huge way after stumbling out of the gates. It’s too little too late for the Padres, but the Phillies have somehow climbed back to .500 and into legitimate Wild Card contention after going 37-50 in the first half.
And now the American League:
W L Athletics 38 17 Orioles 34 22 Mariners 32 23 Rangers 32 23 Rays 32 23
What’s going on in Oakland right now is pretty crazy and last night was no exception. Seattle is obviously the biggest surprise in the AL, going 32-23 in the second half after going 36-51 in the first half. Like with the Padres it’s too little too late for the Mariners, but they’ve at least provided some reason for optimism following some pretty ugly seasons.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)