Stat of the Day: Best records since the All-Star break

Sep 12, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT

stat of the day

In a 162-game marathon it’s easy to lose sight of which teams have played well following a rough first couple months or which teams have faded since a fast start, so with about three weeks remaining in the season let’s take a look at the best records since the All-Star break.

First up, the National League:

W      L
Reds         39     19
Nationals    39     20
Phillies     34     21
Braves       35     23
Padres       34     22
Giants       34     22

Cincinnati, Washington, Atlanta, and San Francisco are likely all headed for the playoffs with the four best overall records in the league, but Philadelphia and San Diego have turned things around in a huge way after stumbling out of the gates. It’s too little too late for the Padres, but the Phillies have somehow climbed back to .500 and into legitimate Wild Card contention after going 37-50 in the first half.

And now the American League:

W      L
Athletics    38     17
Orioles      34     22
Mariners     32     23
Rangers      32     23
Rays         32     23

What’s going on in Oakland right now is pretty crazy and last night was no exception. Seattle is obviously the biggest surprise in the AL, going 32-23 in the second half after going 36-51 in the first half. Like with the Padres it’s too little too late for the Mariners, but they’ve at least provided some reason for optimism following some pretty ugly seasons.

1. icanspeel - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Even though the Padres are probably out of it.. It’s crazy to imagine thanks to the 2nd wild card they are 7.5 games back and could be 6.5 if they finish a sweep of the Cardinals. It’s just another reason for a team to not give up even if they played as poorly as the Padres did early in the year.

2. gammagammahey - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Aaron Sorkin better be on standby to write the screenplay for Moneyball 2.

3. willclarkgameface - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I don’t know. While Seattle is a huge 2nd half surprise, how many of us had Oakland in last place this year finishing a good 30 games out of 1st? I had no idea that they’d be able to pull this off with all the nonsense Bud is pulling with them and the ballpark issue.

Good for Oakland. It’s fascinating and I hope they not only make the playoffs, but get to at least the ALCS.

And I hope they play Baltimore!

And I hope Baltimore wins!

And I hope the World Series is Baltimore – Atlanta.

And I hope Baltimore wins!

GO O’s!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You had me until you mentioned Atlanta. Any Orioles fan not also cheering for the Nats should go stand in the corner for a time-out.

4. sanzarq - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I’m with GAMEFACE!!

5. Lukehart80 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

On the other end of things, the Indians are 15-42 since the break and the Astros are 12-44.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM

So, like, are you suggesting that the $50,000 I bet on Cleveland and Houston meeting in this year’s World Series was perhaps ill-advised?

• Lukehart80 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Perhaps.

• natstowngreg - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ill-advised? Perhaps.

Insane? Definitely.

6. indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM

What will be interesting to see is if the winning ways of those not currently in contention will continue through next year. If so, this bodes well for the Phillies, Padres, and Mariners.

• icanspeel - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM

On top of that I am curious the combined record of opponents that the Phillies, Padres, Mariners have beaten, just to see if they are beating up on easier teams or not. Either way, I think some momentum goes into next year since the players on those teams learn how to win.

• indaburg - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I stand corrected. I just realized the .500 Phillies are only 4 games out of the WC so technically, they’re in contention. When the heck did that happen?

7. EK Ohio - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Let’s not forget about the Red Sox awesome 21-35 record. Here’s to Bobby V in 2013 and beyond!

8. willclarkgameface - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Things are getting too crazy right now down the final stretch to even begin thinking about 2013.

How about the Brewers and Phillies at .500 and POSSIBLY in the mix for the postseason?

I mean, the Brewers would lose the play-in game easily and the Phillies wouldn’t get out of the first round, but it’s great to see them getting in the mix.

On the flip, those damn Pirates need to get their shit together. They aren’t hot and I just don’t see the playoffs happening. At this point I just want to see a +.500 records. DO IT PIRATES!

And GO O’s!

9. foolmaker - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

It pains me to admit it, but I owe Bud an apology. I was completely against the two WC system at first, but it has generated a ton of interest, and kept teams fighting till the bitter end. I’m still not a fan of the screwy one game playoff match, but overall the idea has been a big success. The next three weeks will be some exciting baseball.

Orioles turn AL East on its head