Sep 12, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
Man, if the Red Sox are going to do things like beat better teams in walkoff wins and have team meetings that don’t devolve into chaos, I’m gonna get really bummed out:
Just more than an hour before the Red Sox series-opening game against the Yankees Tuesday, Sox manager Bobby Valentine held a team meeting to reiterate the importance of playing the right way for the final 21 games.
“Nobody really knew what was going on,” said Red Sox outfielder Cody Ross. “We just got together. It was just really positive, and needed. … It was positive. We have 2 1/2 weeks left and the season hasn’t been what we thought it would be, so we can go out and play hard, win ball games and stay positive.”
What next? Valentine says something to the press that isn’t a thinly-veiled plea for help and/or admission of the futility of his lot in life? C’mon Boston. You’re better than that.
Wait, worse? No, better. Darn this has been a difficult season.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)