Derek Jeter’s ankle is a chronic thing, he’s likely to play tonight

Sep 13, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

The loss of Derek Jeter would be a bad, bad thing for the Yankees right now, but it sounds as though that bone bruise he suffered last night isn’t going to keep him out of the lineup. Seems it’s a chronic thing that was merely aggravated, not some totally new injury:

Turns out, though, the ankle is a problem that was only flaring up again. Jeter is likely to be in the lineup Thursday night when the Yanks try to win the series against the Red Sox at Fenway.

Joe Girardi said he first noticed the ankle bothering Jeter in Tampa Bay at the beginning of the road trip. Jeter, as usual, was somewhat less revealing about the injury.

“You either play or you don’t,” Jeter said. “I’m playing, so it’s not an issue. I’ll be fine.”

We get a lot of Saint Derek, the Competitor stories throughout the year, and we usually roll our eyes at them. But even if the idea can be exaggerated, it’s not some wholesale invention by a fawning press. Dude is tough and if he ever makes an excuse about anything, it’ll be the first time he’s ever done so.

1. cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Bone bruises hurt like a break. In a moment of youthful tomfoolery I once bruised my shin with an axe (long story: there was a girl to impress, shit happened). That hurt so much I limped for weeks. When I finally did break a bone in that leg, the effin break hurt as much as the bruise I’d had there the previous summer. Jeets deserves a nod in the tough department. That’s some leadership quality tough, and no mistake.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM

If this were the first injury story I’ve heard involving a Canadian, a girl and an axe I would be more surprised.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

So you’re saying our resident Cur has done this more than once?

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I don’t mean to perpetuate cultural stereotypes, but this one’s actually true. When it comes to impressing the ladies, other culture males go in for a flashy car, loads of dough, or picking fights. Not saying we Canucks don’t do that too, but if there’s an axe, some wood, and any reason at all to use the axe on the wood, well that’s our first option. Needless to say when any two or more Canadian guys are sitting around comparing scars, the winner is inevitably the dude with the best axe scar. Oddly enough, this is commonly also the guy with the girl. I think it has to do with an ability to provide firewood in the winter. Either that, or all the blood splattering about the place prompts the lass to do something to prevent further bloodshed. One or the other.

• bigharold - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“… Canadian guys are sitting around comparing scars, the winner is inevitably the dude with the best axe scar.”

Cur, .. That says a lot about Canadian culture and I’m not sure it’s good. Of course my scars are about beer and motorcycles so who am I to talk?

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Oh there’s beer involved, don’t you worry. In fact, the best axe scar I ever saw (on an ENORMOUS Cree guy in the Emergency Department) involved beer, an axe AND a skidoo (winter’s motorbike). Damn thing involved the entire shoulder muscle (of which there was plenty) right through the bicep(t) (of which there was also plenty: I’d never seen arms more than 50 cm around before). Almost a half meter of scar. Interestingly enough he wasn’t in the Emerg for the axe wound. That was old. Hypothermia was his enemy.

2. capone888 - Sep 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Jetes could lose a leg and he would still drag his body out on to the field to play….and would still continue to lead the league in hits. Too bad not many athletes these days have a tenth of his heart.

3. kevinbnyc - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Clearly he’s washed up and as overrated as Michael Young.

• 4cornersfan - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

My guess is that this washed up player will get 210+ hits and bat over .320 with 18 – 20 homers this year. And win MVP too, if the old, tired, battered Yankees can drag themselves into the playoffs.

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Sep 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

He Was joking, you mule.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thanks Tiger.
        4corners, obviously you missed the “nyc” in my name or took for granted the fact that I’d be a total homer when it comes to Derek Jeter.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug