Sep 13, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
The loss of Derek Jeter would be a bad, bad thing for the Yankees right now, but it sounds as though that bone bruise he suffered last night isn’t going to keep him out of the lineup. Seems it’s a chronic thing that was merely aggravated, not some totally new injury:
Turns out, though, the ankle is a problem that was only flaring up again. Jeter is likely to be in the lineup Thursday night when the Yanks try to win the series against the Red Sox at Fenway.
Joe Girardi said he first noticed the ankle bothering Jeter in Tampa Bay at the beginning of the road trip. Jeter, as usual, was somewhat less revealing about the injury.
“You either play or you don’t,” Jeter said. “I’m playing, so it’s not an issue. I’ll be fine.”
We get a lot of Saint Derek, the Competitor stories throughout the year, and we usually roll our eyes at them. But even if the idea can be exaggerated, it’s not some wholesale invention by a fawning press. Dude is tough and if he ever makes an excuse about anything, it’ll be the first time he’s ever done so.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)