Sep 13, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
The loss of Derek Jeter would be a bad, bad thing for the Yankees right now, but it sounds as though that bone bruise he suffered last night isn’t going to keep him out of the lineup. Seems it’s a chronic thing that was merely aggravated, not some totally new injury:
Turns out, though, the ankle is a problem that was only flaring up again. Jeter is likely to be in the lineup Thursday night when the Yanks try to win the series against the Red Sox at Fenway.
Joe Girardi said he first noticed the ankle bothering Jeter in Tampa Bay at the beginning of the road trip. Jeter, as usual, was somewhat less revealing about the injury.
“You either play or you don’t,” Jeter said. “I’m playing, so it’s not an issue. I’ll be fine.”
We get a lot of Saint Derek, the Competitor stories throughout the year, and we usually roll our eyes at them. But even if the idea can be exaggerated, it’s not some wholesale invention by a fawning press. Dude is tough and if he ever makes an excuse about anything, it’ll be the first time he’s ever done so.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)