Sep 13, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
The loss of Derek Jeter would be a bad, bad thing for the Yankees right now, but it sounds as though that bone bruise he suffered last night isn’t going to keep him out of the lineup. Seems it’s a chronic thing that was merely aggravated, not some totally new injury:
Turns out, though, the ankle is a problem that was only flaring up again. Jeter is likely to be in the lineup Thursday night when the Yanks try to win the series against the Red Sox at Fenway.
Joe Girardi said he first noticed the ankle bothering Jeter in Tampa Bay at the beginning of the road trip. Jeter, as usual, was somewhat less revealing about the injury.
“You either play or you don’t,” Jeter said. “I’m playing, so it’s not an issue. I’ll be fine.”
We get a lot of Saint Derek, the Competitor stories throughout the year, and we usually roll our eyes at them. But even if the idea can be exaggerated, it’s not some wholesale invention by a fawning press. Dude is tough and if he ever makes an excuse about anything, it’ll be the first time he’s ever done so.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)