Sep 13, 2012, 1:38 AM EST
The Braves just lost three straight to the Brewers, yet hardly missed a beat in what’s been an ugly week in the NL wild card race.
With the Dodgers getting swept in their brief two-game series against the Diamondbacks, the National League division winners appear set in stone.
Nationals: 89-64 – 8 1/2-game lead
Reds – 87-57 – 11 1/2-game lead
Giants – 81-62 – 7-game lead
Now here are the wild card standings:
Braves – 81-63 – Lost 3 straight
Cardinals – 75-68 – Lost 3 straight
Dodgers – 74-69 – Lost 3 straight
Pirates – 72-70 – Lost 6 straight
Brewers – 72-71 – Won 3 straight
Phillies – 72-71 – Won 7 straight
D’backs – 71-72 – Won 2 straight
The Braves are still in great position for the top seed, yet after the events of 2011, some nervousness is warranted. Fortunately for them, the Cardinals and Dodgers couldn’t make up any ground the last few days, and now those two face each other the next four days, which, I’m almost positive, is going to make it tough for both teams to go on winning streaks.
I’m focusing on the Dodgers here; they’ve scored 13 runs in losing six of their last seven games. They’re 6-11 since acquiring Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett (and Nick Punto!) from the Red Sox. Matt Kemp is 4-for-32 this month. Hanley Ramirez is in a 4-for-26 slump. Gonzalez is driving in runs — he doubled in both runs in the 3-2 loss tonight — but he’s doing a poor job of getting on base and, as a result, he’s scored just four times in 17 games for the Dodgers.
As things stand now, I have to favor the Cardinals this weekend, even though the series is in L.A. And since the Dodgers have to go to both Washington and Cincinnati next week, circumstances definitely favor the Cardinals if both teams start playing to their ability. If they don’t, well, here come the Brewers and Phillies.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)