Sep 13, 2012, 1:38 AM EDT
The Braves just lost three straight to the Brewers, yet hardly missed a beat in what’s been an ugly week in the NL wild card race.
With the Dodgers getting swept in their brief two-game series against the Diamondbacks, the National League division winners appear set in stone.
Nationals: 89-64 – 8 1/2-game lead
Reds – 87-57 – 11 1/2-game lead
Giants – 81-62 – 7-game lead
Now here are the wild card standings:
Braves – 81-63 – Lost 3 straight
Cardinals – 75-68 – Lost 3 straight
Dodgers – 74-69 – Lost 3 straight
Pirates – 72-70 – Lost 6 straight
Brewers – 72-71 – Won 3 straight
Phillies – 72-71 – Won 7 straight
D’backs – 71-72 – Won 2 straight
The Braves are still in great position for the top seed, yet after the events of 2011, some nervousness is warranted. Fortunately for them, the Cardinals and Dodgers couldn’t make up any ground the last few days, and now those two face each other the next four days, which, I’m almost positive, is going to make it tough for both teams to go on winning streaks.
I’m focusing on the Dodgers here; they’ve scored 13 runs in losing six of their last seven games. They’re 6-11 since acquiring Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett (and Nick Punto!) from the Red Sox. Matt Kemp is 4-for-32 this month. Hanley Ramirez is in a 4-for-26 slump. Gonzalez is driving in runs — he doubled in both runs in the 3-2 loss tonight — but he’s doing a poor job of getting on base and, as a result, he’s scored just four times in 17 games for the Dodgers.
As things stand now, I have to favor the Cardinals this weekend, even though the series is in L.A. And since the Dodgers have to go to both Washington and Cincinnati next week, circumstances definitely favor the Cardinals if both teams start playing to their ability. If they don’t, well, here come the Brewers and Phillies.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)