Sep 13, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
Weaver, who was skipped in the rotation last week due to right biceps tendinitis, allowed just two hits over seven shutout innings while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow a baserunner to advance past second base. Weaver improved to 17-4 with the win and now holds a 2.74 ERA across 26 starts this season.
Weaver and Brett Anderson actually matched zeroes over the first six innings before the Angels plated all six of their runs in the bottom of the seventh. Torii Hunter got the scoring started with a solo shot to lead off the inning while Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo followed with RBI singles. Mike Trout scored on a passed ball while Hunter appropriately put a cap on the rally with an RBI single.
This was still a disappointing week for the Angels, as they ended up losing three out of four at home to fall three back (four in the loss column) to the Yankees for the second Wild Card, but Weaver’s start today can be viewed as a major positive. The Angels will begin a three-game set against the Royals tomorrow night with C.J. Wilson on the hill against Bruce Chen.
As for the Athletics, their 12-game road winning streak is over. They’ll begin a three-game series with the Orioles tomorrow night at home with Tommy Milone going up against Joe Saunders. Wouldn’t have guessed in April that this would be appointment viewing, but it absolutely is.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 0
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 41
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 95
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)