Sep 13, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Weaver, who was skipped in the rotation last week due to right biceps tendinitis, allowed just two hits over seven shutout innings while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow a baserunner to advance past second base. Weaver improved to 17-4 with the win and now holds a 2.74 ERA across 26 starts this season.
Weaver and Brett Anderson actually matched zeroes over the first six innings before the Angels plated all six of their runs in the bottom of the seventh. Torii Hunter got the scoring started with a solo shot to lead off the inning while Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo followed with RBI singles. Mike Trout scored on a passed ball while Hunter appropriately put a cap on the rally with an RBI single.
This was still a disappointing week for the Angels, as they ended up losing three out of four at home to fall three back (four in the loss column) to the Yankees for the second Wild Card, but Weaver’s start today can be viewed as a major positive. The Angels will begin a three-game set against the Royals tomorrow night with C.J. Wilson on the hill against Bruce Chen.
As for the Athletics, their 12-game road winning streak is over. They’ll begin a three-game series with the Orioles tomorrow night at home with Tommy Milone going up against Joe Saunders. Wouldn’t have guessed in April that this would be appointment viewing, but it absolutely is.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)