Sep 13, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
Weaver, who was skipped in the rotation last week due to right biceps tendinitis, allowed just two hits over seven shutout innings while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow a baserunner to advance past second base. Weaver improved to 17-4 with the win and now holds a 2.74 ERA across 26 starts this season.
Weaver and Brett Anderson actually matched zeroes over the first six innings before the Angels plated all six of their runs in the bottom of the seventh. Torii Hunter got the scoring started with a solo shot to lead off the inning while Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo followed with RBI singles. Mike Trout scored on a passed ball while Hunter appropriately put a cap on the rally with an RBI single.
This was still a disappointing week for the Angels, as they ended up losing three out of four at home to fall three back (four in the loss column) to the Yankees for the second Wild Card, but Weaver’s start today can be viewed as a major positive. The Angels will begin a three-game set against the Royals tomorrow night with C.J. Wilson on the hill against Bruce Chen.
As for the Athletics, their 12-game road winning streak is over. They’ll begin a three-game series with the Orioles tomorrow night at home with Tommy Milone going up against Joe Saunders. Wouldn’t have guessed in April that this would be appointment viewing, but it absolutely is.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)