Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Mat Gamel has missed nearly the entire season with a torn ACL, so there was some thought that the Brewers would send him to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost at-bats.
Assistant general manager Gord Ash squashed those plans yesterday, telling Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Gamel “has not made enough progress physically to meet the timeline of the AFL.”
Ash indicated that Gamel will instead play in the Dominican winter league, which will give him a bit more time to progress in his recovery before seeing game action again.
Once a top prospect, Gamel is now 27 years old with just 269 career plate appearances in the majors and a modest .671 OPS.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)