Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Mat Gamel has missed nearly the entire season with a torn ACL, so there was some thought that the Brewers would send him to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost at-bats.
Assistant general manager Gord Ash squashed those plans yesterday, telling Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Gamel “has not made enough progress physically to meet the timeline of the AFL.”
Ash indicated that Gamel will instead play in the Dominican winter league, which will give him a bit more time to progress in his recovery before seeing game action again.
Once a top prospect, Gamel is now 27 years old with just 269 career plate appearances in the majors and a modest .671 OPS.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)