Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Mat Gamel has missed nearly the entire season with a torn ACL, so there was some thought that the Brewers would send him to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost at-bats.
Assistant general manager Gord Ash squashed those plans yesterday, telling Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Gamel “has not made enough progress physically to meet the timeline of the AFL.”
Ash indicated that Gamel will instead play in the Dominican winter league, which will give him a bit more time to progress in his recovery before seeing game action again.
Once a top prospect, Gamel is now 27 years old with just 269 career plate appearances in the majors and a modest .671 OPS.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)