Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Mat Gamel has missed nearly the entire season with a torn ACL, so there was some thought that the Brewers would send him to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost at-bats.
Assistant general manager Gord Ash squashed those plans yesterday, telling Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Gamel “has not made enough progress physically to meet the timeline of the AFL.”
Ash indicated that Gamel will instead play in the Dominican winter league, which will give him a bit more time to progress in his recovery before seeing game action again.
Once a top prospect, Gamel is now 27 years old with just 269 career plate appearances in the majors and a modest .671 OPS.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)