Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Mat Gamel has missed nearly the entire season with a torn ACL, so there was some thought that the Brewers would send him to the Arizona Fall League to make up for the lost at-bats.
Assistant general manager Gord Ash squashed those plans yesterday, telling Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that Gamel “has not made enough progress physically to meet the timeline of the AFL.”
Ash indicated that Gamel will instead play in the Dominican winter league, which will give him a bit more time to progress in his recovery before seeing game action again.
Once a top prospect, Gamel is now 27 years old with just 269 career plate appearances in the majors and a modest .671 OPS.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (85)