Sep 13, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
After missing the past month with a strained left quad muscle, Mike Napoli is on track to be activated from the disabled list Saturday.
Napoli is 1-for-6 with a homer in two rehab games this week with Double-A Frisco. Perhaps more importantly, he has caught 15 innings without incident. He is scheduled to get one final tuneup tomorrow as the the designated hitter before being activated. While he isn’t quite 100 percent, he told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he is satisfied with his progress.
“I feel good enough,” Napoli said. “I’ll go get some at-bats tomorrow and be ready to go. I don’t think I’m running at full speed, but I’m able to run around the bases at a decent pace and I feel good catching. I tried to do everything I could to test it and it felt good. The big thing was being behind the plate. Everything is good.”
Napoli, 30, is batting .223/.343/.429 with 17 home runs, 40 RBI and a .771 OPS in 92 games played this season. He’s due to become a free agent this offseason, so he should be plenty motivated to finish strong.
Geovany Soto has struggled as the regular catcher during Napoli’s absence, batting just .216/.277/.343 with three home runs, 17 RBI and a .620 OPS in 33 games since coming over from the Cubs in late July. Even though Napoli has been a disappointment this year, he should be a major upgrade if healthy.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 26
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 13
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 65
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)