Sep 13, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Baltimore losing Nick Markakis for the rest of the regular season was a big blow, but the Orioles may be adding a different strong left-handed bat to the lineup soon.
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Orioles are “cautiously optimistic” about Jim Thome being ready to return from a herniated disk in his neck during their upcoming road trip, which begins tomorrow and runs through September 23.
Thome has been out since late July, but has been swinging a bat without any problems since last week and posted a solid .797 OPS in 42 games before being shut down. As a part-time designated hitter and bat off the bench Thome could provide a nice little boost.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)