Sep 13, 2012, 1:40 PM EST
Baltimore losing Nick Markakis for the rest of the regular season was a big blow, but the Orioles may be adding a different strong left-handed bat to the lineup soon.
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Orioles are “cautiously optimistic” about Jim Thome being ready to return from a herniated disk in his neck during their upcoming road trip, which begins tomorrow and runs through September 23.
Thome has been out since late July, but has been swinging a bat without any problems since last week and posted a solid .797 OPS in 42 games before being shut down. As a part-time designated hitter and bat off the bench Thome could provide a nice little boost.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)