Sep 13, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Baltimore losing Nick Markakis for the rest of the regular season was a big blow, but the Orioles may be adding a different strong left-handed bat to the lineup soon.
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Orioles are “cautiously optimistic” about Jim Thome being ready to return from a herniated disk in his neck during their upcoming road trip, which begins tomorrow and runs through September 23.
Thome has been out since late July, but has been swinging a bat without any problems since last week and posted a solid .797 OPS in 42 games before being shut down. As a part-time designated hitter and bat off the bench Thome could provide a nice little boost.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)