Sep 13, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
“I check on him,” Johnson said. “I told him yesterday, to give him something to think about, I said, ‘Keep taking batting practice. I might need your bat. If I can’t use your arm, I’ll use your bat’ … I’m serious, yeah.”
Well, he’s not nearly the liability at the plate that most pitchers are so I suppose there are worse ideas. Also:
Strasburg made his final start of the season five days ago, but already he has become antsy with no more starts to look forward to. During the Nationals’ series in New York, Strasburg has shagged batting practice in center field, mostly standing by himself.
Nothin’ can go wrong out there, of course.
Seriously, though, Nats fans had better hope that the baseball gods aren’t suffering from an irony deficit disorder these days, because the target, it is so big right now.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)