Sep 13, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
“I check on him,” Johnson said. “I told him yesterday, to give him something to think about, I said, ‘Keep taking batting practice. I might need your bat. If I can’t use your arm, I’ll use your bat’ … I’m serious, yeah.”
Well, he’s not nearly the liability at the plate that most pitchers are so I suppose there are worse ideas. Also:
Strasburg made his final start of the season five days ago, but already he has become antsy with no more starts to look forward to. During the Nationals’ series in New York, Strasburg has shagged batting practice in center field, mostly standing by himself.
Nothin’ can go wrong out there, of course.
Seriously, though, Nats fans had better hope that the baseball gods aren’t suffering from an irony deficit disorder these days, because the target, it is so big right now.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106