White Sox and Indians reschedule their September 25 game for Yom Kippur

Sep 13, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

white sox logo

The Chicago White Sox announced yesterday that their September 25th home game against the Indians has been moved up from 7:10 p.m. to 1:10 for Yom Kippur.

Though it wasn’t the team’s original intention to move game time up from 7:10 p.m., the White Sox will gain the services of third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who would not have played. The White Sox host the Cleveland Indians in the second of three games on Sept. 25.

Obviously it’s not just for Kevin Youkilis, of course. A lot of observant fans wouldn’t be able to watch or attend the game if it started after sundown that day either.

This is not unprecedented, of course. Off the top of my head I recall a couple of years ago that ESPN agreed to let the Yankees and Red Sox move what would have been a Sunday Night Baseball game to a day game on Yom Kippur, despite the fact that ESPN had contractual rights to keep it a night game. It’s probably happened other times too.

So yes baseball fans, there is an authority even higher than cable television out there.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Yet one more reason for Bud Selig to believe that baseball fans have no interest in instant replay.

• savocabol1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say…..huh?

2. number42is1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

BARUCH HASHEM!
    Sandy is somewhere simling

3. bigtrav425 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

[the substance of this comment has been deleted because the commenter apparently cannot express his disagreement with the decision without being an anti-semitic jerk about it. And if he does it again, he will be banned]

• number42is1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Welcome to 1942 folks

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Fuck. You.

• number42is1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Super Duper… now our responses look anti-semitic LMAO!

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Yeah, that was for the original comment, not Craig’s edit, in case anyone’s wondering. Seems like there’s plenty of intolerance & cultural hate to go around, isn’t there? Between that jackass and the whole Brandon Phillips Is a Big Fat Liar crap, some people certainly do think its still 1942.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well cur if I could just find a goddamn flux capacitor, then I could get back to the present!

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I find it truly amazing that in the 21st century there is still so much hatred, bigotry and ignorance.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Um, it’s a BASEBALL GAME!!!
      trav, get some perspective here – they moved a baseball game to a different time on the same day. Yeah, it was apparently to accomodate Youkilis and other observent Jews, who may or may not have requested the accomodation (the story doesn’t say whether people complained, or the Sox suddenly realized, “Hey, that’s a religious holiday, can we move the time?” Yom Kippur is an extremely important holiday to the “damn jews”, but maybe you had a ticket to the game, and now you can’t come because of those “damn jews.”

The good news – such as it is – is that you are exposed for the virulent bigot you are…

• yournuts - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Here is a list of Jewish Baseball players past and present. Not one or two, but plenty and hall og famers too.

Cal Abrams, US, outfielder[2]
        Rubén Amaro, Jr., US, outfielder, general manager[2]
        Morrie Arnovich, US, outfielder, All-Star[2]
        Brad Ausmus, US, catcher, All-Star, 3x Gold Glove[2]
        José Bautista, Dominican-born, pitcher[2]
        Moe Berg, US, catcher & shortstop, and spy for US in World War II[2]
        Ron Blomberg, US, DH, first baseman, and outfielder, Major League Baseball’s first designated hitter[3]
        Lou Boudreau, US, shortstop, 8x All-Star, batting title, MVP, Baseball Hall of Fame, manager[2]
        Ryan Braun, US, left fielder, 2007 MLB Rookie of the Year, 4x All-Star, 2011 National League MVP (Milwaukee Brewers)[4]
        Craig Breslow, US, relief pitcher (Boston Red Sox)[2]
        Alta Cohen, US, outfielder
        Andy Cohen, US, second baseman, minor league coach & manager, major league coach
        Syd Cohen, US, pitcher, brother of Andy Cohen
        Harry Danning, US, catcher, 4x All-Star[2][5]
        Ike Davis, US, first baseman (New York Mets)[6]
        Moe Drabowsky, US, pitcher[7]
        Harry Eisenstat, US, pitcher[8]
        Mike Epstein, US, first baseman[2]
        Harry Feldman, US, pitcher[2]
        Scott Feldman, US, pitcher (Texas Rangers)[2]
        Gavin Fingleson, South African-born Australian, Olympic silver medalist[9]
        Sam Fuld, US, outfielder (Tampa Bay Rays)[10]
        Sid Gordon, US, outfielder & third baseman, 2x All-Star[2]
        John Grabow, US, relief pitcher[2]
        Shawn Green, US, right fielder, 2x All-Star, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger[2]
        Adam Greenberg, US, outfielder[2]
        Hank Greenberg, US, first baseman & outfielder, 5x All-Star, 4x home run champion, 4x RBI leader, 2x MVP, Baseball Hall of Fame[2]
        Jason Hirsh, US, starting pitcher[2]
        Ken Holtzman, US, starting pitcher, 2x All-Star[2]
        Joe Horlen, US, pitcher, All-Star, ERA leader[2]
        Brian Horwitz, US, outfielder[11]
        Ryan Kalish, US, outfielder (Boston Red Sox)[12]
        Gabe Kapler, US, outfielder[2]
        Ian Kinsler, US, second baseman, 2x All-Star (Texas Rangers)[13]
        Jason Kipnis, US, second baseman (Cleveland Indians)[14]
        Sandy Koufax, US, starting pitcher, 6x All-Star, 5x ERA leader, 4x strikeouts leader, 3x Wins leader, 2x W-L% leader, 1 perfect game, MVP, 3x Cy Young Award, Baseball Hall of Fame[2]
        Barry Latman, US, pitcher[8]
        Ryan Lavarnway, US, catcher (Boston Red Sox)[15]
        Al Levine, US, relief pitcher[2]
        Mike Lieberthal, US, catcher, 2x All-Star, Gold Glove[2]
        Elliott Maddox, US, outfielder & third baseman[2]
        Jason Marquis, US, starting pitcher, Silver Slugger, All Star (San Diego Padres)[2]
        Erskine Mayer, US, pitcher[2]
        Buddy Myer, US, second baseman, shortstop, and third baseman, 2x All-Star, batting title, stolen base title[2]
        Jeff Newman, US, catcher & first baseman, All-Star, manager[2]
        Barney Pelty, US, pitcher[2]
        Lipman Pike, US, outfielder, second baseman, & manager, 4x home run champion, RBI leader[2]
        Aaron Poreda, US, pitcher[2]
        Scott Radinsky, US, relief pitcher[2]
        Dave Roberts, US, pitcher[2]
        Saul Rogovin, US, pitcher[2]
        Al “Flip” Rosen, US, third baseman & first baseman, 4x All-Star, 2x home run champion, 2x RBI leader, MVP[2]
        Goody Rosen, Canada, outfielder, All-Star[2]
        George Stone, US, outfielder, 1x batting title[19]
        Steve Stone, US, starting pitcher, All-Star, Cy Young Award[2]
        Danny Valencia, US, third baseman (Boston Red Sox)[20]
        Phil “Mickey” Weintraub, US, first baseman & outfielder
        Josh Whitesell, US, first baseman (Chiba Lotte Marines)[21]
        Steve Yeager, US, catcher[2]
        Kevin Youkilis, US, first baseman, third baseman, & left fielder, 3x All-Star, Gold Glove, Hank Aaron Award (Chicago White Sox)[2]

• cur68 - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM

You missed one. He comments on here once in a while, too. Bob Tufts (that’s him there at the bottom of the page making the Islam crack).

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Probably should just go ahead and ban this clown now because you know he/she won’t be able to control him/herself.

4. Lukehart80 - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I have to believe this move has been made for legitimate reasons having to do with respecting an important holy day, because no self-respecting team would feel the need to resort to any sort of shenanigans just to beat the Indians.

5. thatyankeedude - Sep 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Well at least somebodies religious rights are being exercised. Where are the atheists? Somebody call them quick somebody might get to actually partake in their religious freedom!

6. goldensombrero3000 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Only Cincinnat Jewish people. First SandyKoufax now Kevin Youklis! I guess we are conservative in every religion.

• mazblast - Sep 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

1. It’s “Cincinnati”
      2. It’s “Youkilis”
      3. Koufax only lived in Cincinnati for one year, during which he played on UC’s freshman basketball and baseball teams. Legend has it that he gave up the longest HR in Xavier U’s stadium history that year, about 575 feet by my estimate. Throw hard, hit hard.
      4. This is about a game in Chicago and has nothing to do with Cincinnati.

I remember the Reds rescheduling Tony Perez Day (1985? 1986?) because Marge Schott, in her infinite wisdom, had scheduled it for Rosh Hashanah. To her credit, she admitted that she whiffed on it and immediately moved the ceremonies for probably the most beloved of the Big Red Machine players to the next day’s game.

7. raysfan1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I missed the original post by the antisemitic jerk, but I know from previous idiots that it takes a lot to get Craig to delete a post and threaten banishment. So thanks, Craig, I’m much happier not seeing that crap.

8. shanabartels - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Meanwhile, I’ll be the one frequently checking the Yankees score as surreptitiously as possible during services and hoping my rabbi doesn’t notice and give me the stinkeye. It would be nice if Yankees games didn’t conflict with Yom Kippur, but it happens every year so I’m used to it. I’m not super observant, but I wouldn’t feel right skipping High Holiday services just because it’s a pennant race.

At least it doesn’t coincide with the postseason this year (which it did last year). It’s more frustrating missing postseason games.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I’m not super-observant, either, but I’ve never watched TV or listened to the radio on Yom Kippur . . . which meant missing the Phillies’ last playoff game last year. I wasn’t above having others tell me the score though. It was more excruciating than the fast.

• shanabartels - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’ll turn on the tail end of the game as soon as I get home from services. I don’t want to miss the whole thing.

I don’t really understand why my comment and yours got any thumbs-down responses. I usually don’t care, but I’m curious as to whether that’s from Orthodox people thinking it’s tacky to even check the score on High Holidays, or from antisemites who are thumbs-downing Judaism. Kind of weird.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

@shanabartels – or maybe they just hate the Yankees AND the Phillies!

• number42is1 - Sep 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’m sorthodox my wife is pretty damn orthodox and i keep my PC on MLB.COM so that it keeps me updated with the scores. Tacky it aint

9. hojo20 - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

No big deal. A few years ago I believe the NY Jets or Giants moved their late game to 1pm to due to Y.K.

10. hushbrother - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Give Youk time to break the fast before game time.

11. tuftsb - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If Islam is peace, I’d hate to see what war really looks like.

• mazblast - Sep 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Probably true, but not relevant to this story.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3397)