Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman is currently getting a bit of a break due to a fatigued left shoulder, but he’s confident he’ll be blowing away opposing batters again real soon.
According to Christina De Nicola of MLB.com, Chapman said he felt “a lot better” after making 40 throws earlier today while playing long toss from a distance of 40-50 feet. He hopes to return “in a few more days.”
The Reds decided to shut Chapman down this week after he showed diminished velocity while walking three of the five batters he faced on Monday against the Pirates. This was one appearance after he blew a save against the Astros last Friday by giving up four hits, including a three-run homer to Matt Dominguez.
Chapman said he has dealt with fatigue multiple times in his career and chalks it up to a matter of conditioning.
“There’s a long season and sometimes you forget about continuing to do some exercises and you get fatigued,” Chapman said.
Chapman has an incredible 1.60 ERA and 119/20 K/BB ratio over 67 2/3 innings this season and is currently tied with Braves’ closer Craig Kimbrel for the National League lead with 35 saves. The Reds opened play tonight with an 11-game lead in the National League Central, so they have the luxury of resting him until he’s right.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Cardinals insisted there was nothing wrong with Adam Wainwright’s elbow and he wouldn’t require surgery.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Needs more Pixies. I have no idea which song, but any list needs more Pixies.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
And he wouldn’t wish it on anyone else.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Jeremy Guthrie vs. Tim Hudson.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Way to spoil all of our silly speculation, dude.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Loyalty in professional sports is kind of a silly concept.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom is that the good-defense, low-power Royals aren’t hurt all that much by playing in AT&T Park. I tend to disagree with that.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
It would actually make a lot of sense.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
GM salaries are about to skyrocket.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Will he follow Andrew Friedman to Los Angeles?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
The powerful and controversial drug is allowing Game 2’s hero to battle through shoulder pain.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Great Moments in Peanuts and Cracker Jack
Oct 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
For the second straight year we realize that Miguel Cabrera finished the season in way more pain than the Tigers had let on.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Quite the hot take from John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune
Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
A day later, Strickland has a better handle on how he mishandled things on Wednesday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
A man with a history of intentionally misstating the facts about stocks does so about baseball.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:13 AM EDT
We’re tied 1-1. I guess that doesn’t make Game 3 “crucial.” Maybe it makes it “pivotal.” Not sure. Gonna have to consult my baseball cliche dictionary.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Do you want to feel really old? OK, here goes.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
After stepping down as assistant general manager of the Nationals earlier this month, Bryan Minniti has accepted the same role with the Diamondbacks.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (118)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)