Sep 14, 2012, 1:48 PM EST
Nationals third base coach Bo Porter traveled to Houston yesterday and became the first known candidate to interview for the Astros’ managerial opening.
MLB Network analyst and former Phillies manager Larry Bowa is in Houston today talking to Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow, although it’s not clear if he’s interviewing for the manager job or something else.
Asked by Brian McTaggart of MLB.com about the meeting, Luhnow said it was to “exchange baseball ideas” and “Larry is here to meet with me on some baseball related matters.”
It’s unlikely that the Astros would interview Bowa for a non-manager coaching job, since whoever they end up hiring as manager would surely want to assemble his own staff. It’s also possible that Luhnow is talking to Bowa about a front office or scouting position.
Bowa has tons of coaching and managing experience, including a Manager of the Year award from 2001, but he’s 66 years old and hasn’t managed since being fired by Philadelphia late in the 2004 season and has been doing television work since 2011.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)