Sep 14, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
“Everybody was really excited to see him and I think he was very excited to see us, too,” reliever Jerry Blevins said. “There’s just nothing that compares to the clubhouse atmosphere and just having him back and being around the guys, it’s hard to beat that.”
To mark the occasion, Jonny Gomes presented McCarthy with an A’s batting helmet signed by his teammates with “heads up” written on the bill.
McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture nine days ago when he was hit by an Erick Aybar liner.
“He looks normal, he’s just got a buzzed head and a cool scar,” Blevins said. “He looks a lot tougher than he did.”
McCarthy didn’t make himself available to the media today, but he’s still tweeting up a storm.
With this sweet new haircut and homemade Bane mask I'm off for a big day of yelling at tourists in Union Square.—
Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) September 13, 2012
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)