Sep 14, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
“Everybody was really excited to see him and I think he was very excited to see us, too,” reliever Jerry Blevins said. “There’s just nothing that compares to the clubhouse atmosphere and just having him back and being around the guys, it’s hard to beat that.”
To mark the occasion, Jonny Gomes presented McCarthy with an A’s batting helmet signed by his teammates with “heads up” written on the bill.
McCarthy suffered an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture nine days ago when he was hit by an Erick Aybar liner.
“He looks normal, he’s just got a buzzed head and a cool scar,” Blevins said. “He looks a lot tougher than he did.”
McCarthy didn’t make himself available to the media today, but he’s still tweeting up a storm.
With this sweet new haircut and homemade Bane mask I'm off for a big day of yelling at tourists in Union Square.—
Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) September 13, 2012
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)