Sep 14, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
With Joe Mauer and Drew Butera banged up, it was revealed Friday that the Twins were calling up Double-A catcher Chris Herrmann to help out behind the plate. That decision, however, isn’t sitting well with veteran Rene Rivera, who was Triple-A Rochester’s primary catcher this year:
Rene Rivera (@ReneRivera13) September 14, 2012
It seems Rivera thought he was promised the callup should the Twins add an extra catcher.
Neither Rivera nor Herrmann was on the 40-man roster, so that had nothing to do with the choice. It likely came down to the fact that Herrmann is something of a prospect as a potential backup, while Rivera is just a journeyman who probably wasn’t going to be back in the organization next year anyway.
Still, Rivera is the second scorned Twin this year to take to twitter to voice his displeasure with the organization. Former prospect Dan Osterbrock did so in May after the Twins misdiagnosed his arm problems and released him.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)