Sep 14, 2012, 6:34 PM EST
With Joe Mauer and Drew Butera banged up, it was revealed Friday that the Twins were calling up Double-A catcher Chris Herrmann to help out behind the plate. That decision, however, isn’t sitting well with veteran Rene Rivera, who was Triple-A Rochester’s primary catcher this year:
Rene Rivera (@ReneRivera13) September 14, 2012
It seems Rivera thought he was promised the callup should the Twins add an extra catcher.
Neither Rivera nor Herrmann was on the 40-man roster, so that had nothing to do with the choice. It likely came down to the fact that Herrmann is something of a prospect as a potential backup, while Rivera is just a journeyman who probably wasn’t going to be back in the organization next year anyway.
Still, Rivera is the second scorned Twin this year to take to twitter to voice his displeasure with the organization. Former prospect Dan Osterbrock did so in May after the Twins misdiagnosed his arm problems and released him.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)