Sep 14, 2012, 6:34 PM EST
With Joe Mauer and Drew Butera banged up, it was revealed Friday that the Twins were calling up Double-A catcher Chris Herrmann to help out behind the plate. That decision, however, isn’t sitting well with veteran Rene Rivera, who was Triple-A Rochester’s primary catcher this year:
Rene Rivera (@ReneRivera13) September 14, 2012
It seems Rivera thought he was promised the callup should the Twins add an extra catcher.
Neither Rivera nor Herrmann was on the 40-man roster, so that had nothing to do with the choice. It likely came down to the fact that Herrmann is something of a prospect as a potential backup, while Rivera is just a journeyman who probably wasn’t going to be back in the organization next year anyway.
Still, Rivera is the second scorned Twin this year to take to twitter to voice his displeasure with the organization. Former prospect Dan Osterbrock did so in May after the Twins misdiagnosed his arm problems and released him.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 24
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)