Sep 14, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
CC Sabathia is the game’s highest-paid hurler, but David Price has pretty obviously supplanted him as the AL East’s best pitcher. Tampa Bay’s ace picked up his league-leading 18th win Friday as the Rays topped the Yankees 6-4.
Price allowed two runs in seven innings to become the AL’s first to 18 victories. Sabathia gave up four runs in 6 2/3 innings to drop to 13-6. The Yankees have lost each of his last four starts.
The Yankees did make a late charge in the eighth, when Alex Rodriguez hit a two-run homer off Joel Peralta to make it a 5-4 game. The typically reliable Peralta then exited with a man on first and one out, with Rays manager Joe Maddon asking Fernando Rodney to get five outs. That’s exactly what happened, as Rodney allowed just one batter to reach via a walk. The Rays got an insurance run on an Eduardo Nunez error in the top of the ninth.
Rodney’s save was his 43rd of the season. He has an insane 0.66 ERA through 68 innings.
Sabathia won his first start after returning from a brief DL stint last month, but he’s 0-3 with a 4.67 ERA in four starts since. Tonight’s outing was the first in the last five in which he didn’t give up a homer. He’s allowed a career-high 21 homers in 176 innings for the season after allowing 17 homers in 237 1/3 innings last year.
The win leaves the Rays three behind the Yankees in the AL East. They’ll also pick up a game on either Baltimore or Oakland tonight, since those two are playing each other.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)