Chris Carpenter on the verge of rejoining Cardinals rotation

Sep 14, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

carpenter getty Getty Images

Chris Carpenter‘s miraculous comeback from what was supposed to be season-ending thoracic outlet syndrome surgery is nearly complete, with just one more hurdle to clear before rejoining the Cardinals’ rotation.

Carpenter is scheduled to throw a 90-pitch simulated game Saturday and Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that “barring any surprise development Carpenter is set to make his season debut next week.”

Carpenter last started for the Cardinals in Game 7 of the World Series. He pitched that night on three days’ rest and logged a grand total of 273 innings between the regular season and playoffs at age 36.

He was shut down during spring training after experiencing numbness in his arm and neck. Surgery in July was expected to knock him out for all of this season and put his status for 2013 in question, but Carpenter told Langosch that he was holding out hope for a quicker return all along:

I went into [surgery] strong enough and knew that if I came out of it strong enough, I thought there was a chance. My goal the whole time was to be prepared to let these guys know how I felt at the end of the season so they could go into the offseason knowing what they could count on me for next season.

In other words, even Carpenter never imagined starting multiple key games down the stretch this year, which is exactly what may happen if he can get through tomorrow’s session healthy.

1. stlouis1baseball - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Unreal recovery time for sure. Like him or not…the dude is very much a Warrior. Always been.
    His return couldn’t come at a better time. Let’s hope he fully recovers and comes back throwing darts.

• number42is1 - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

so Puljos gets a hand injury and is supposed to be out 6-8 weeks and is back in 2, Carpenter is supposed to be out all of 2012 and some of 2013 and is back in under 6 months????

WTF is in the water over there?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I hear you 42. The organization has always played games with their injury assessments.
        I don’t think that is what happened with Carp. But they have certainly always played it real close to the vest. To the point of me believing they aren’t always on the up and up with it.
        It is also very frustrating…and always has been.

• cjmoderator - Sep 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s my understanding that roids help recovery time…

#TESTTHEPUNK!!!

2. blues1988 - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

this is exactly what the cardinals need right now, a spark. having our ace and biggest leader come back could end up being huge down the stretch!

3. cardsr4real - Sep 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Love Carp. Hopefully he can bring some life back into this stretch run.

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I wish him the best. He is a great pitcher who has overcome injuries in the past.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2983)