Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.
Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.
UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins