Derek Jeter passes Willie Mays for 10th place on all-time hits list

Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EST

Derek Jeter AP AP

After tying Willie Mays last night against the Red Sox, Derek Jeter moved into sole possession of 10th place on the all-time hits list tonight against the Rays.

Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.

Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.

UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.

1. dondada10 - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

John Sterling called it as a fly ball to right.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Followed closely by Suzyn Waldman who screamed uncontrollably “Oh my goodness gracious”

• jolink653 - Sep 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

That ball is high, it is far, it is….caught in shallow left-center field

2. raysfan1 - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Great player, happy for him…as long as the Rays win of course.

• bigharold - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m with you right to that last bit. Good game tonight though.

• raysfan1 - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Just gotta stay true to my guys.

Glad the Rays won. If they hadn’t, I’d have been grouchy for about 15 minutes maybe and then moved on.

Plus, I would still have saluted Jeter’s achievement. As a baseball fan in general, one has to admire greatness when it is present.

3. bozosforall - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Baseballreference.com has him at #11, not #10. HBT needs to do better research.

• D.J. Short - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Craig explained it pretty thoroughly this morning: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/derek-jeter-ties-willie-mays-on-the-all-time-hits-list/

• bozosforall - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Sorry, I missed that article. I guess I actually have a life outside of the Internet…unlike the hordes of loser crybaby Boston fans who practically live here.

• Glenn - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Should we replace the vocabulary word “troll” for bozosforall?

4. pisano - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This is all good for Jeter, but if the Yankees don’t start hitting the O’s will be passing them instead of Jeter passing Mays.

5. ericellers - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Addressed to Pisano.

That was a great post and acutely accurate! Sums up the way I feel to the 10th power!

6. acdc363 - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM