Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EST
Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.
Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.
UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 7
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 54
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 68
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)