Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EST
Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.
Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.
UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)