Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.
Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.
UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (81)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (75)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (73)