Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Jeter, who is currently playing through a bone bruise in his left ankle, collected hit No. 3,284 with a single off the glove of second baseman Elliot Johnson in the bottom of the fifth inning. David Price gave up the hit. Of course, he was also the opposing pitcher when Jeter got his 3,000th career hit on a home run last July 9.
Jeter is now staring up at Eddie Collins, who is in ninth place all-time with 3,315 career hits. The 37-year-old shortstop is 31 hits away with 19 games (including tonight) left in the regular season, so he might not get there until 2013.
UPDATE: Here’s the video of the historic hit.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)