Sep 14, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Donnie Murphy suffered a concussion Wednesday when Chase Utley‘s leg hit his head during a slide at second base and today manager Ozzie Guillen said the Marlins utility man is not expected to play again this season.
Murphy actually remained in the game after the collision with Utley, flying out in an at-bat the next inning, but then exited and apparently hasn’t felt well since.
Murphy has already appeared in a career-high 50 games and would have surpassed his career-high for plate appearances as well if not for the concussion, but he’s hit just .205 with a .640 OPS while seeing action at shortstop, second base, and third base.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)