Sep 14, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Donnie Murphy suffered a concussion Wednesday when Chase Utley‘s leg hit his head during a slide at second base and today manager Ozzie Guillen said the Marlins utility man is not expected to play again this season.
Murphy actually remained in the game after the collision with Utley, flying out in an at-bat the next inning, but then exited and apparently hasn’t felt well since.
Murphy has already appeared in a career-high 50 games and would have surpassed his career-high for plate appearances as well if not for the concussion, but he’s hit just .205 with a .640 OPS while seeing action at shortstop, second base, and third base.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)