Sep 14, 2012, 4:45 PM EST
Donnie Murphy suffered a concussion Wednesday when Chase Utley‘s leg hit his head during a slide at second base and today manager Ozzie Guillen said the Marlins utility man is not expected to play again this season.
Murphy actually remained in the game after the collision with Utley, flying out in an at-bat the next inning, but then exited and apparently hasn’t felt well since.
Murphy has already appeared in a career-high 50 games and would have surpassed his career-high for plate appearances as well if not for the concussion, but he’s hit just .205 with a .640 OPS while seeing action at shortstop, second base, and third base.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)