Sep 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Marco Scutaro didn’t hit much for the Rockies, batting .271 with a .684 OPS in 95 games, but he’s been on fire since a July 27 trade to the Giants with a .341 batting average, .808 OPS, and 30 RBIs in 44 games.
At the time of the trade Scutaro seemed unhappy to be leaving Colorado, but he’s apparently quickly taken a liking to San Francisco and the impending free agent told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “would love to come back here.”
Scutaro indicated that he’d be willing to re-sign before hitting the open market as a free agent and Baggarly writes that “the Giants will make every effort to re-sign Scutaro after this season” because even though he’s 37 years old they lack any other in-house options at second base.
Obviously he’s playing way over his head since coming to the Giants, but Scutaro’s overall numbers this season (.293 batting average, six homers, .724 OPS) are right in line with his career marks. He’s always been a good, solid all-around player and no one loves good, solid veterans more than the Giants.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)