Sep 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Marco Scutaro didn’t hit much for the Rockies, batting .271 with a .684 OPS in 95 games, but he’s been on fire since a July 27 trade to the Giants with a .341 batting average, .808 OPS, and 30 RBIs in 44 games.
At the time of the trade Scutaro seemed unhappy to be leaving Colorado, but he’s apparently quickly taken a liking to San Francisco and the impending free agent told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “would love to come back here.”
Scutaro indicated that he’d be willing to re-sign before hitting the open market as a free agent and Baggarly writes that “the Giants will make every effort to re-sign Scutaro after this season” because even though he’s 37 years old they lack any other in-house options at second base.
Obviously he’s playing way over his head since coming to the Giants, but Scutaro’s overall numbers this season (.293 batting average, six homers, .724 OPS) are right in line with his career marks. He’s always been a good, solid all-around player and no one loves good, solid veterans more than the Giants.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (107)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)