Sep 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Marco Scutaro didn’t hit much for the Rockies, batting .271 with a .684 OPS in 95 games, but he’s been on fire since a July 27 trade to the Giants with a .341 batting average, .808 OPS, and 30 RBIs in 44 games.
At the time of the trade Scutaro seemed unhappy to be leaving Colorado, but he’s apparently quickly taken a liking to San Francisco and the impending free agent told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “would love to come back here.”
Scutaro indicated that he’d be willing to re-sign before hitting the open market as a free agent and Baggarly writes that “the Giants will make every effort to re-sign Scutaro after this season” because even though he’s 37 years old they lack any other in-house options at second base.
Obviously he’s playing way over his head since coming to the Giants, but Scutaro’s overall numbers this season (.293 batting average, six homers, .724 OPS) are right in line with his career marks. He’s always been a good, solid all-around player and no one loves good, solid veterans more than the Giants.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)