Sep 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Still going back and admiring that Yadier Molina putout last night. Just wonderful.
In the post about it I wondered how hard he threw that ball. There have been at least two attempts at explanations so far. The first one I saw came from commenter Ryan:
And a radar gun would be way better, but some back-of-the-envelope math suggests he threw it around 85 mph.
distance from home to 2nd base: ~127 feet; the throw was caught a little short and off of 2nd, so ~125 feet
timing with a crappy cellphone stopwatch: ~1.0 seconds from release to catch
125 feet/second = 85 mph
A lot of potential error in the timing measurement, but mid-eighties is probably about right. I wonder any catchers can throw any harder?
Then commenter dan1111 added:
It’s even more impressive when you consider that pitch speed is measured at the release point. 85 mph average over that distance is at least a low 90s fastball.
Another attempt at measuring the velocity came from Larry Granillo of Baseball Prospectus. Well, smart people he asked about it, but he published it. It comes in at a much lower, but still impressive speed: out of the hand at 83, averaging 72 m.p.h. Click through to see his methodology.
Either way: damn impressive for a catcher who did not have the benefit of a mound, a fully upright position, a big stride and a windup.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)