Sep 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Still going back and admiring that Yadier Molina putout last night. Just wonderful.
In the post about it I wondered how hard he threw that ball. There have been at least two attempts at explanations so far. The first one I saw came from commenter Ryan:
And a radar gun would be way better, but some back-of-the-envelope math suggests he threw it around 85 mph.
distance from home to 2nd base: ~127 feet; the throw was caught a little short and off of 2nd, so ~125 feet
timing with a crappy cellphone stopwatch: ~1.0 seconds from release to catch
125 feet/second = 85 mph
A lot of potential error in the timing measurement, but mid-eighties is probably about right. I wonder any catchers can throw any harder?
Then commenter dan1111 added:
It’s even more impressive when you consider that pitch speed is measured at the release point. 85 mph average over that distance is at least a low 90s fastball.
Another attempt at measuring the velocity came from Larry Granillo of Baseball Prospectus. Well, smart people he asked about it, but he published it. It comes in at a much lower, but still impressive speed: out of the hand at 83, averaging 72 m.p.h. Click through to see his methodology.
Either way: damn impressive for a catcher who did not have the benefit of a mound, a fully upright position, a big stride and a windup.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)