Orioles release Kevin Gregg

Sep 14, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT

Kevin Gregg Reuters

Predictably none of the other 29 teams wanted anything to do with Kevin Gregg‘s remaining contract, even for just a few weeks of salary, so the Orioles released the veteran reliever after designating him for assignment Tuesday.

Gregg produced a 4.53 ERA and 64 walks in 103 innings for the Orioles on a two-year, $10 million contract and at age 34 will likely have to settle for a modest one-year deal as a middle reliever for 2013.

He’s had a sub-4.00 ERA just three times in nine full seasons and has a career mark of 4.11, yet has saved 144 games and earned more than $20 million. Getting that “proven closer” label is a helluva thing.

1. sictransitchris - Sep 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’d like to thank Kevin for posting a 14.29 against my Yankees this year. Happy trails!

2. jarathen - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Kevin Gregg has churned out a surprisingly lucrative career out of being just kind of decent. Was admittedly solid 2006-2010, but really never had a great WHIP.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM

To bad. The rest of the AL East will miss him.

4. modellforprez - Sep 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Congrats to them O birds for breaking their what was it 15 yr. run at futility. now only the pissburgh PI-rats is D. and they giving it to the yankees and Rays. GO A orioles….

5. ericellers - Sep 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

As a Yank fan and admit tingly knowing that we’re weak to go far(if indeed we do get to the post season) I’d like very much to watch a O’s vs Nat’s ws ?

6. Old Gator - Sep 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Considering his performance, Gregg had a longer half-life than plutonium. I was always surprised by how many teams kept throwing heavy bucks at him when he had proven so conclusively that he was a recidivist game-blower.

• Glenn - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM

You sound like you are against “game blowers” and probably “game blower” marriage, yet your half-life reference sounds science-knowledgeable. Where do you stand politically? PS – I live in black-white terms, no gray areas, please.

• Old Gator - Sep 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I’m pretty far to the left of center. Definitely left of “liberal.” As far as science, yeah, I read every issue of The Journal of Irreproducible Results cover to cover. I support gameblower marriage, on the assumption that married gameblowers will leave baseball early and go look for a real job to support their families once they’ve disappeared into waiver limbo. Of course, that’s just some more of my delusional utopianism. Incidentally, I’m getting on in years but do hope I live long enough to see the Church have to come to terms with gay divorce.

7. jason9696 - Sep 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM

He gave me an ulcer every time he came into save a game for the Jays.

8. gbrglax - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

How would a Nationals vs. 0rioles WS play out with TV revenue? Neither side would have detractors who would tune out (i.e. Red Sox, Yankees), there might be intrigue about two newer teams playing, but the major markets and WC would not be watching. Higher or lower than St L v T?

9. ericellers - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Not certain about the ratings, it’s not my thing, couldn’t be worse then texas vs cards or texas vs giants ratings I’d imagine? On further thought it’d probably be better then the last two ws?
    I know it be a great series tho.

Ace-killer Giants do it again