Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Ted Lilly has been trying to work his way back to the Dodgers since May, but numerous setbacks have kept him off the mound. Now his season is officially over. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Lilly has opted to undergo shoulder surgery.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 with left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw began a minor league rehab assignment in late July, but he just couldn’t shake the discomfort in his shoulder. He was still holding out hope to return as a reliever down the stretch, but plans changed after he was scratched from a simulated game yesterday.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone doesn’t expect Lilly’s shoulder will need major repair and is confident he’ll be ready for spring training. Shoulders can be tricky, so that’s certainly no guarantee, but things could have been worse.
Lilly turns 37 in January and is owed $12 million next season in the final year of a three-year, $33 million contract.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)