Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
Ted Lilly has been trying to work his way back to the Dodgers since May, but numerous setbacks have kept him off the mound. Now his season is officially over. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Lilly has opted to undergo shoulder surgery.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 with left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw began a minor league rehab assignment in late July, but he just couldn’t shake the discomfort in his shoulder. He was still holding out hope to return as a reliever down the stretch, but plans changed after he was scratched from a simulated game yesterday.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone doesn’t expect Lilly’s shoulder will need major repair and is confident he’ll be ready for spring training. Shoulders can be tricky, so that’s certainly no guarantee, but things could have been worse.
Lilly turns 37 in January and is owed $12 million next season in the final year of a three-year, $33 million contract.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)