Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Ted Lilly has been trying to work his way back to the Dodgers since May, but numerous setbacks have kept him off the mound. Now his season is officially over. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Lilly has opted to undergo shoulder surgery.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 with left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw began a minor league rehab assignment in late July, but he just couldn’t shake the discomfort in his shoulder. He was still holding out hope to return as a reliever down the stretch, but plans changed after he was scratched from a simulated game yesterday.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone doesn’t expect Lilly’s shoulder will need major repair and is confident he’ll be ready for spring training. Shoulders can be tricky, so that’s certainly no guarantee, but things could have been worse.
Lilly turns 37 in January and is owed $12 million next season in the final year of a three-year, $33 million contract.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 4
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 61
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)