Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Ted Lilly has been trying to work his way back to the Dodgers since May, but numerous setbacks have kept him off the mound. Now his season is officially over. According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Lilly has opted to undergo shoulder surgery.
Lilly went 5-1 with a 3.14 ERA over his first eight starts this season prior to being placed on the disabled list on May 24 with left shoulder inflammation. The veteran southpaw began a minor league rehab assignment in late July, but he just couldn’t shake the discomfort in his shoulder. He was still holding out hope to return as a reliever down the stretch, but plans changed after he was scratched from a simulated game yesterday.
According to Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A., Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone doesn’t expect Lilly’s shoulder will need major repair and is confident he’ll be ready for spring training. Shoulders can be tricky, so that’s certainly no guarantee, but things could have been worse.
Lilly turns 37 in January and is owed $12 million next season in the final year of a three-year, $33 million contract.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants