Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
De Vries was hit in the ribs by a comebacker during his September 8 start and stayed in the game, finishing with six shutout innings against the Indians, but he was wincing the whole time and yesterday Minnesota announced that he has a cracked rib.
It’s a shame, because De Vries was vastly outperforming expectations with a 4.11 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio in 88 innings spread over 16 starts. Minnesota’s rotation is pretty wide open for 2013 and beyond, so De Vries figures to be in the mix for the fifth spot.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)