Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
De Vries was hit in the ribs by a comebacker during his September 8 start and stayed in the game, finishing with six shutout innings against the Indians, but he was wincing the whole time and yesterday Minnesota announced that he has a cracked rib.
It’s a shame, because De Vries was vastly outperforming expectations with a 4.11 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio in 88 innings spread over 16 starts. Minnesota’s rotation is pretty wide open for 2013 and beyond, so De Vries figures to be in the mix for the fifth spot.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 122
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)