Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
De Vries was hit in the ribs by a comebacker during his September 8 start and stayed in the game, finishing with six shutout innings against the Indians, but he was wincing the whole time and yesterday Minnesota announced that he has a cracked rib.
It’s a shame, because De Vries was vastly outperforming expectations with a 4.11 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio in 88 innings spread over 16 starts. Minnesota’s rotation is pretty wide open for 2013 and beyond, so De Vries figures to be in the mix for the fifth spot.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)