Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
De Vries was hit in the ribs by a comebacker during his September 8 start and stayed in the game, finishing with six shutout innings against the Indians, but he was wincing the whole time and yesterday Minnesota announced that he has a cracked rib.
It’s a shame, because De Vries was vastly outperforming expectations with a 4.11 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio in 88 innings spread over 16 starts. Minnesota’s rotation is pretty wide open for 2013 and beyond, so De Vries figures to be in the mix for the fifth spot.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)