Sep 15, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT
Zack Greinke did his job, shutting out his old team, the Royals, for eight innings on Saturday. Ernesto Frieri didn’t do his. After coming in with one on and one out in the ninth, he gave up back-to-back homers to Billy Butler and Salvador Perez, giving Kansas City a 3-2 win over the Angels.
Mike Scioscia will surely have to face some tough questions after this one. Greinke was at a modest 103 pitches when he departed. He hadn’t given up an extra-base hit all night. And as great as Frieri has been this year, he had just thrown 30 pitches in picking up a save in Friday’s game. Not that six pitches was much of a sample, but he didn’t have his typical velocity tonight.
It’s a huge loss for the Angels, though there’s still the chance the Orioles will pick them up by knocking off Oakland tonight. At best, they’ll enter Sunday’s season finale five games back of the A’s in the loss column with 16 games left to go this season. And they’re going to have to pass some team in the A’s-Orioles-Yankees group to have a shot at the wild card.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)