Sep 15, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT
Zack Greinke did his job, shutting out his old team, the Royals, for eight innings on Saturday. Ernesto Frieri didn’t do his. After coming in with one on and one out in the ninth, he gave up back-to-back homers to Billy Butler and Salvador Perez, giving Kansas City a 3-2 win over the Angels.
Mike Scioscia will surely have to face some tough questions after this one. Greinke was at a modest 103 pitches when he departed. He hadn’t given up an extra-base hit all night. And as great as Frieri has been this year, he had just thrown 30 pitches in picking up a save in Friday’s game. Not that six pitches was much of a sample, but he didn’t have his typical velocity tonight.
It’s a huge loss for the Angels, though there’s still the chance the Orioles will pick them up by knocking off Oakland tonight. At best, they’ll enter Sunday’s season finale five games back of the A’s in the loss column with 16 games left to go this season. And they’re going to have to pass some team in the A’s-Orioles-Yankees group to have a shot at the wild card.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)