Sep 15, 2012, 7:53 PM EST
Anibal Sanchez has had a pretty difficult time since joining the Tigers in a July deal with the Marlins, but that hasn’t extended to his starts versus Cleveland. He took a no-hitter into the seventh inning Saturday in the Tigers’ 5-3 victory.
Sanchez faced the minimum through 6 2/3 innings, with the only batter to reach doing so on a HBP (he was promptly erased on a double-play ball). Unfortunately, he gave up three straight hits from there, resulting in his removal. Carlos Santana tripled to break up the no-hit bit, Russ Canzler doubled and Lonnie Chisenhall delivered an RBI single, cutting Detroit’s lead to 5-2. The Indians rallied for one more run in the eighth, but that was it for them.
Sanchez is now 2-0 with a 1.45 ERA in three starts against the Indians as a member of the Tigers. He’s 1-5 with a 5.66 ERA in his other six outings for the team.
The win kept Detroit one game back of Chicago in the AL Central after the White Sox beat the Twins earlier in the afternoon.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)