Sep 15, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw was terrific while pitching with his sore hip Tuesday, but he wasn’t feeling well enough to give it another go Sunday against the Cardinals. The Dodgers scratched him today and announced that he’d see a specialist on Tuesday.
Stephen Fife will pitch in his place in the finale of a four-game series.
The Dodgers are concerned that Kershaw will need season-ending surgery to repair a labrum tear in his hip. If so, he’d be the third Dodgers starter lost for the season, joining Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly.
Kershaw’s absence leaves the Dodgers with a rotation of Josh Beckett, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Joe Blanton. Fife would be mixed in when a fifth starter is needed. Even if the Dodgers do somehow limp int the postseason with that crew, they’d seem to be easy pickings for whomever they face.
Kershaw, the NL Cy Young Award winner last season, is 12-9 with a 2.70 ERA and 206 strikeouts in 206 2/3 innings this year.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)