Sep 15, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Clayton Kershaw was terrific while pitching with his sore hip Tuesday, but he wasn’t feeling well enough to give it another go Sunday against the Cardinals. The Dodgers scratched him today and announced that he’d see a specialist on Tuesday.
Stephen Fife will pitch in his place in the finale of a four-game series.
The Dodgers are concerned that Kershaw will need season-ending surgery to repair a labrum tear in his hip. If so, he’d be the third Dodgers starter lost for the season, joining Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly.
Kershaw’s absence leaves the Dodgers with a rotation of Josh Beckett, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Joe Blanton. Fife would be mixed in when a fifth starter is needed. Even if the Dodgers do somehow limp int the postseason with that crew, they’d seem to be easy pickings for whomever they face.
Kershaw, the NL Cy Young Award winner last season, is 12-9 with a 2.70 ERA and 206 strikeouts in 206 2/3 innings this year.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?