Sep 15, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
Baseball-reference.com has spent the evening counting down to the 500,000th error of all-time. Not that it’s really the 500,000th error, but at least it’s the 500,000th error in the best database the Internet has to offer.
The Royals’ Jeff Francoeur pretty obviously committed what would have been No. 499,999 here — at least I think that’s where they’re at — but alas, the Kansas City official scorer decided it wasn’t meant to be.
Here’s the video for those with access to MLB.com Gameday.
For those that don’t, Torii Hunter hit a liner to right field that Francoeur had no problem getting to. However, Francoeur lost the ball in the lights at the last second and it hit off his glove. The ruling was an RBI single, which isn’t particularly surprising. But I still think it’s ridiculous. The ball was in his glove! It’s bad enough that they won’t give errors for balls outfielders circle around and don’t touch. If the ball hits him in the glove and he’s not diving or running towards the wall at full speed, it’s a freakin’ error.
And in case you were wondering…
Error 500,000. Marlins SS, Jose Reyes just seconds after 499,999 by SFG SS Joaquin Arias—
Baseball Reference (@baseball_ref) September 16, 2012
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)