Sep 15, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Baseball-reference.com has spent the evening counting down to the 500,000th error of all-time. Not that it’s really the 500,000th error, but at least it’s the 500,000th error in the best database the Internet has to offer.
The Royals’ Jeff Francoeur pretty obviously committed what would have been No. 499,999 here — at least I think that’s where they’re at — but alas, the Kansas City official scorer decided it wasn’t meant to be.
Here’s the video for those with access to MLB.com Gameday.
For those that don’t, Torii Hunter hit a liner to right field that Francoeur had no problem getting to. However, Francoeur lost the ball in the lights at the last second and it hit off his glove. The ruling was an RBI single, which isn’t particularly surprising. But I still think it’s ridiculous. The ball was in his glove! It’s bad enough that they won’t give errors for balls outfielders circle around and don’t touch. If the ball hits him in the glove and he’s not diving or running towards the wall at full speed, it’s a freakin’ error.
And in case you were wondering…
Error 500,000. Marlins SS, Jose Reyes just seconds after 499,999 by SFG SS Joaquin Arias—
Baseball Reference (@baseball_ref) September 16, 2012
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)