Sep 15, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Baseball-reference.com has spent the evening counting down to the 500,000th error of all-time. Not that it’s really the 500,000th error, but at least it’s the 500,000th error in the best database the Internet has to offer.
The Royals’ Jeff Francoeur pretty obviously committed what would have been No. 499,999 here — at least I think that’s where they’re at — but alas, the Kansas City official scorer decided it wasn’t meant to be.
Here’s the video for those with access to MLB.com Gameday.
For those that don’t, Torii Hunter hit a liner to right field that Francoeur had no problem getting to. However, Francoeur lost the ball in the lights at the last second and it hit off his glove. The ruling was an RBI single, which isn’t particularly surprising. But I still think it’s ridiculous. The ball was in his glove! It’s bad enough that they won’t give errors for balls outfielders circle around and don’t touch. If the ball hits him in the glove and he’s not diving or running towards the wall at full speed, it’s a freakin’ error.
And in case you were wondering…
Error 500,000. Marlins SS, Jose Reyes just seconds after 499,999 by SFG SS Joaquin Arias—
Baseball Reference (@baseball_ref) September 16, 2012
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 52
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (93)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (86)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery