Sep 15, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
Baseball-reference.com has spent the evening counting down to the 500,000th error of all-time. Not that it’s really the 500,000th error, but at least it’s the 500,000th error in the best database the Internet has to offer.
The Royals’ Jeff Francoeur pretty obviously committed what would have been No. 499,999 here — at least I think that’s where they’re at — but alas, the Kansas City official scorer decided it wasn’t meant to be.
Here’s the video for those with access to MLB.com Gameday.
For those that don’t, Torii Hunter hit a liner to right field that Francoeur had no problem getting to. However, Francoeur lost the ball in the lights at the last second and it hit off his glove. The ruling was an RBI single, which isn’t particularly surprising. But I still think it’s ridiculous. The ball was in his glove! It’s bad enough that they won’t give errors for balls outfielders circle around and don’t touch. If the ball hits him in the glove and he’s not diving or running towards the wall at full speed, it’s a freakin’ error.
And in case you were wondering…
Error 500,000. Marlins SS, Jose Reyes just seconds after 499,999 by SFG SS Joaquin Arias—
Baseball Reference (@baseball_ref) September 16, 2012
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)