Sep 15, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
When Ozzie Guillen bashed Buster Olney on Twitter Friday, he was merely criticizing the accusation that his team has given up. On the other hand, he is perfectly willing to admit that his team isn’t any good.
“When you say I lose control of my team (and) they’re not playing hard, you’re not watching this ballclub play,” Guillen said. “Say we’re losing, yes. We play terrible, yes. We’ve been bad all year. But (say) they not play hard? That’s a lie.”
Guillen says his players really have no choice but to play hard.
“But when you make a comment saying your team doesn’t play hard enough, you’re not watching us. You’re not. Because first of all, there’s only two players in my lineup right now who have for-sure, for-sure, for-sure jobs next year, guaranteed. Only two (right fielder Giancarlo Stanton and shortstop Jose Reyes). Then the other guys have to bust their tails to convince us they can play for us next year.”
Unfortunately, the fact that they should doesn’t necessarily mean that they will. Justin Ruggiano is still giving it his all. Donovan Solano doesn’t look like much of a talent, but he’s making the most of his playing time. Carlos Lee? John Buck? Probably not.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)