Sep 15, 2012, 8:37 PM EST
When Ozzie Guillen bashed Buster Olney on Twitter Friday, he was merely criticizing the accusation that his team has given up. On the other hand, he is perfectly willing to admit that his team isn’t any good.
“When you say I lose control of my team (and) they’re not playing hard, you’re not watching this ballclub play,” Guillen said. “Say we’re losing, yes. We play terrible, yes. We’ve been bad all year. But (say) they not play hard? That’s a lie.”
Guillen says his players really have no choice but to play hard.
“But when you make a comment saying your team doesn’t play hard enough, you’re not watching us. You’re not. Because first of all, there’s only two players in my lineup right now who have for-sure, for-sure, for-sure jobs next year, guaranteed. Only two (right fielder Giancarlo Stanton and shortstop Jose Reyes). Then the other guys have to bust their tails to convince us they can play for us next year.”
Unfortunately, the fact that they should doesn’t necessarily mean that they will. Justin Ruggiano is still giving it his all. Donovan Solano doesn’t look like much of a talent, but he’s making the most of his playing time. Carlos Lee? John Buck? Probably not.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)