Sep 15, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
The Yankees lost 6-4 to the Rays last night, so the Orioles had yet another chance to gain sole possession of first-place in the American League East. They failed to make it happen.
In front of a packed house at O.co Coliseum, the Athletics topped the Orioles 3-2 last night. Yes, the Orioles actually lost a one-run game.
Tommy Milone allowed two runs (one earned) over 6 1/3 innings in the victory. Yoenis Cespedes, who left Thursday’s game with a sprained right wrist, delivered a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth inning while Jonny Gomes‘ RBI single in the fifth ended up being the difference in the game.
Grant Balfour was pulled from a save chance on Tuesday night, but A’s manager Bob Melvin went right back to him in the ninth inning last night. He gave up a leadoff single to Matt Wieters before getting Endy Chavez to strike out and Mark Reynolds to fly out deep to left field. The game ended when pinch-runner Xavier Avery was thrown out by Derek Norris while trying to steal second base. Chris Davis, who homered earlier in the game, was hitting at the time. Rough way to lose.
The series will resume tonight when Zach Britton opposes Jarrod Parker. The Orioles and Yankees remained tied atop the American League East at 81-63. Meanwhile, the Athletics are in the driver’s seat for the top Wild Card spot at 83-61.
Your Friday box scores:
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)