Sep 15, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
It should go without saying that you don’t try to score from third with no outs unless you’re quite sure that you can make it. Then again, it’s hard to blame Adam Jones for being quite sure he could make it here.
Not only was it a picture-perfect relay from Yoenis Cespedes to Stephen Drew to Derek Norris, but I think Norris had Jones deked, at least a bit, by not reacting to the throw until the very end. There’s no conclusive angle in the video, but I believe it to be the case.
One thing I’ve never been a fan of on these plays: the outfielder gets all of the credit for the assist. Cespedes certainly deserves his share, but Drew’s role will go completely unrewarded in the statistics.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (126)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)