Sep 15, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
It should go without saying that you don’t try to score from third with no outs unless you’re quite sure that you can make it. Then again, it’s hard to blame Adam Jones for being quite sure he could make it here.
Not only was it a picture-perfect relay from Yoenis Cespedes to Stephen Drew to Derek Norris, but I think Norris had Jones deked, at least a bit, by not reacting to the throw until the very end. There’s no conclusive angle in the video, but I believe it to be the case.
One thing I’ve never been a fan of on these plays: the outfielder gets all of the credit for the assist. Cespedes certainly deserves his share, but Drew’s role will go completely unrewarded in the statistics.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)