Sep 16, 2012, 9:12 PM EST
This weekend’s series in Los Angeles settled nothing, as the Cardinals beat the Dodgers in 12 innings Sunday to split a four-game series.
Shelby Miller, long the Cardinals’ No. 1 pitching prospect, earned his first major league victory and John Ely, the Dodgers’ ninth pitcher of the day, took the loss in a 5-2 game Sunday.
The win gave the Cardinals the same one-game lead over the Dodgers for the second wild card they held when the series started Thursday.
The Cards jumped right out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first today, but the Dodgers tied it back up in the third on an Andre Ethier homer. That was the end of the scoring until the 12th, when Jon Jay doubled in Matt Carpenter to make it a 3-2 game. The Cards added insurance runs on an Allen Craig single and a Yadier Molina bases-l0aded walk.
The Dodgers got a strong spot start from Stephen Fife in place of injured ace Clayton Kershaw. He struck out nine in his five innings of work. After that, seven relievers combined on six scoreless innings. Only Ely, who gave up all three runs in the 12th, struggled. Josh Wall was brought in to finish the frame, making him the Dodgers’ franchise record 10th pitcher of the game.
The Cards used just five pitchers. Adam Wainwright pitched six innings of two-run ball, and then Trevor Rosenthal and Fernando Salas pitched two innings apiece. Miller probably would have gone two or three innings himself had the game remain tied, but after the Cards took the lead, Jason Motte came in to work the bottom of the 12th for his 35th save.
The Cardinals and Dodgers both have 15 games left, and the Cards would seem to have a big advantage when it comes to the schedule. Their next nine games are versus the Astros and Cubs. The Dodgers are set to go on a nine-game road trip that includes the Nationals, Reds and Padres. Other teams are in the mix as well, with the Brewers and Pirates sitting two games back of the Cards in the loss column.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 99
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 38
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 366
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (103)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)