Larry Lucchino signed an extension with the Red Sox

Sep 16, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT

Larry Lucchino

Based on the comments I get about Red Sox articles around here, there are a lot of you who believe that Larry Lucchino is part of, if not the source of, the chronic dysfunction in Boston.  If you’re in that camp, bad news my friends:

Red Sox owner John Henry said Thursday that team president and CEO Larry Lucchino will be back with the team in 2013 and that he has signed a contract extension … Earlier Thursday, also on WEEI, Lucchino hinted he’d be around a while.

“I love it here. I love Boston,” he said. “This is the place I call home. I hope to be here for the foreseeable future.”

Not surprising. And probably not the biggest deal on he planet. It’s not like there wasn’t dysfunction in Boston before Lucchino got there.  And it’s not like there hasn’t been great success while he was there as well.  If the Sox win, you never read his name in the paper and never hear it on the radio.  If they lose, you do.

1. randygnyc - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Next up, VALENTINE. Pay the man his money.

• professor30 - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

They should’ve given Theo his job 5 years ago, love the “Rounders” reference though.

2. uyf1950 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

“Larry Lucchino signed an extension with the Red Sox”…and that can only be a good thing for the rest of the American League teams. To second Randygnyc’s comment “next up, Valentine…” just do it as the old Nike commercials used to say.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I approve this message.

3. pisano - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Unbelievable!

• uyf1950 - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Why are you surprised, my friend? Look at who you’re talking about, it’s the Red Sox.

• pisano - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Good point my friend, as I’ve said many times, it’s a ship of fools.

4. sabatimus - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Pure IDIOCY.

• bozosforall - Sep 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Perfect fit for the idiot fans in Boston.

• sabatimus - Sep 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

That’s original.

• bozosforall - Sep 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Doesn’t have to be when it has been the truth for many years.

5. mazblast - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM

If I’m Ben Cherington and if I own any Boston real estate, I’m following this simple advice–find a good listing agent. John Henry and Tom Werner, in their infinite non-wisdom, have declared Lucchino the winner and your tenure may be short.

Better yet, Ben, make a pre-emptive move. You’ll win a lot of respect if you quit and say, “I’m not God, but even God couldn’t work for/with these schmucks.” I know that being a major league GM has been your dream, but is it worth it if you’re a figurehead who has to kowtow to a jerk like Lucchino? Better to take an assistant GM job elsewhere than to be the eventual scapegoat in Boston.

6. mickeylolich1968 - Sep 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM

To rehash other angry Red Sox fan quotes…

…”I mean really, what is the likelihood the Yankees totally fall apart, fire Joe Girardi, and proceed to hire the soon to be available Bobby Valentine?”

and…
    Ben Cherington should run the baseball business.
    Larry Lucchino should be in charge of commemorative plaques and brick sales.
    If this is not rectified Ben Cherington will soon bolt Fenway in Theo’s gorilla suit.

All other related thoughts of this thread participant are to be considered inappropriate for this venue.

• bozosforall - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Yet Lucchino is the only man known to have World Series rings (Orioles ’83, Red Sox ’04 and ’07)[7], a Super Bowl ring (Redskins ’83) and a Final Four watch (Princeton, ’65). You, meanwhile, are a Boston crybaby loser.

7. nmrdr795 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and its crazy to me how the guys are getting hired. Theo was a good gm. Yes some bad choices with Crawford and gonzales but this joke and valentine is unbeliavable to me. I’d rather see Yankee s red six then the bandwagon o s fans in September. These execs make the strangers moves. Must be politics

Three legends off to Cooperstown