Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Sep 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT

Juan Rivera, Matt Kemp

I’m torn between loving that so many games have consequences right now on the one hand and knowing that, on the other hand, the reason so many have consequences is that we have that second wild card and a play-in game in the offing that will, in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team. Eh, I’ll adjust. Just sayin’.

In any event, the Yankees, for the moment, stay out of that play-in game with their win and the Orioles’ loss. The O’s are OK, though, because the Angels woofed a game away and now seem to be in serious trouble. You gotta beat Kansas City, man. Meanwhile, Chicago maintains it’s one game cushion over Detroit, who they face in a critical make-up game Monday.

In the NL: The Phillies losing to the Astros again is just, dude, no, you can’t do that. The Dodgers, however, have gotten up off the canvass these past couple of days and are now tied with the Cardinals, thanks to yesterday’s walkoff win. St. Louis has more than a week of cupcakeness in the schedule ahead, however, so they can probably handle it. At least if they stop sucking.  The Pirates and Brewers kept pace.

It’s gettin’ exciting, kids. Those of us who don’t like the play-in game just have to forget why.

Yesterday’s scores:

Braves 5, Nationals 4
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2
Pirates 7, Cubs 6
White Sox 5, Twins 3
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 3

1. mqcarpenter - Sep 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Why do so many of these articles get posted without a proofread? PFT seems very unprofessional at times. I have seen articles with four to five misspelled words.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Oh horrors, misspelled words! Whatever will we do? If there are errors that change the meaning of a post, like incorrect scores or wrong players, say something, but who really cares if someone transposes a letter or misclicks? This isn’t the NYT editorial board, it’s a baseball blog.

• manchestermiracle - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

If you can’t be bothered to check your work why should I read your tripe? And there ARE errors here that DO change the intended meaning of articles. Uncorrected typographical errors reveal haste and a lack of commitment to accuracy. Seeing them lowers my confidence that what I am reading has integrity. Whether it’s a novel or a note to your mama, sloppy writing intimates a lack of intelligent thought. This is how humans communicate. Do it accurately and don’t make it look like a teenager’s ignorant texting.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Dear Buddha, manchestermiracle! You just began a sentence with a conjunction!

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I strive to make this site enjoyable for everyone. Pedants included. You should friggin’ thank me.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Why on Earth (notice the correct uppercase usage here) would you want to make this site (as opposed to ‘sight’) enjoyable for pedants [emphasis mine], Craig?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Do it accurately and don’t make it look like a teenager’s ignorant texting.

You act as if Craig wrote, “lol the Red Sux are terrible, rofl,” or something of a similar vein. Please point out a few errors and how they change the meaning of a post.

• manchestermiracle - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Craig: Sorry, I was generalizing about the entire site. So, thank you. Friggin’ thank you. Signed, a pedant. Although I must say I resent the dictionary’s assertion that striving to be accurate makes one a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense. After all, perhaps I’m not a complete grammar nazi: Gator pointed out that I began a sentence using a conjunction. Get out the rope, I’ll pick my own tree.

church: See above sentence about generalizing. And there have been previous posts that have either misspelled players names or gotten them completely wrong. No, I’m not going to do the footwork to list them for you. My post was directed as much at those who post comments (if not more) than at those who write the articles.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM

You should try reading Pro Basketball Talk. I’m 90% sure that Helin writes all his articles on an iphone.

• historiophiliac - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

It seems that even in the land of the free we are all subject to the tyranny of the dictionary. Personally, I thought it added something when Craig noted that the Dodgers had gotten up off their canv-ass and were getting it together.

2. lewp - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

That’s a clown question bro…

3. dondada10 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“…in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team.”

I was a loud defender of the second wild-card when it was introduced, but am now starting to come around to the other side of the argument, which I believe Craig paraphrased well.

Ultimately, the answer was to keep the leagues at 4 playoff spots each, and eliminate divisions.

Have 15 teams in each league with constant interleague play. At the end of the season, the teams with the 4 best record in each league are ranked 1-4 and have a playoff regardless of which division they used to be in.

But let me stop whipping this horse; it died so long ago.

• hcf95688 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I understand, but do not agree with the very popular narrative about the play-in game. We all love Game Sevens. Why? Because its winner-take-all. The wild card play-in is an instant Game Seven.

• dondada10 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I love game 7. For many reasons, the biggest of which is that it’s an elimination game. But essentially, game 1 is now game 7 and we’re:

A. Robbed of the drama of the entirety of the series
        B. And a team like the A’s, which has had an amazing series, has to roll the dice on one starter in one game.

• hcf95688 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM

“And a team like the A’s, which has had…”

I think you meant the Rangers.

• manchestermiracle - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM

But without that wild-card play-in, wouldn’t one team’s season already be over? A one-game shot at redemption certainly has its attraction.

• dondada10 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yes, but that one team gets a reprieve at the expense of a team that, in theory, had a better season.

4. kiwicricket - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Being molested by Nick Punto after a game ending play would not sit well with me. Not to sound like an elitist or anything, but I would rather big-time stars rip my clothes off.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Speaking of which, I would like to thank Kate Middleton’s thoracic attributes for finally driving Suri Cruise, the Kardashians, Kristen Steward and Whatsisname off the covers of the tabloids with which I am forced to slime myself every time I check out a carton of eggs at Publix. I too abhor the opportunistic commercialism of this invasion of privacy and the crass voyeurism represented by this episode but man, what a pleasure not to have to look at all those airbrushed photos of utter morons while I’m trying to think about what I want to make for dinner.

They’re pretty nice ones, by the way.

• APBA Guy - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Those pics are so fuzzy, can you be sure it’s the Princess? I think Willie’s foolin’ around with a Martian look-alike. Next in the Enquirer!

There. Saved you some trouble. Now you can look at your eggs in peace.

• indaburg - Sep 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I would add the royal family to the likes of the Kardashians etc. So a woman sunbathed topless. What’s the big deal?

• raysfan1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I would that I had more than one “thumbs up” to give you, indaburg.

5. uyf1950 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The Yankees won and the Orioles lost it was a good day for the Yankees. And Nova looked pretty darn good considering it was is first outing after coming off the DL. Now if only Pettitte could look as good on Tuesday.

• Old Gator - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Pettitte always looks good. If you had his money, what would be your excuse for dressing like a slob – in New York, of all places?

6. raysfan1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Took my 7-year-old son to his first MLB game last night– Rangers vs Mariners. Feldman came out and clearly just stunk. My son during the Mariners’ 3rd: “Isn’t it my bed time yet?” Then Perez came in, stopped the bleeding, and the Rangers made.a comeback. My son now has a new favorite player in Mike Napoli, especially after his 3-run 6th inning HR sailed straight over our heads. Then Washington decided to pull an effective pitcher for the 8th, and the Mariners took the lead back and won. Oh well, the young boy is still jazzed about that HR this AM.

7. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM

In the epic collision of owner-geniuses unfolding in Oakland, Peter Angelos was overheard to insist that God does not play dice with the standings, whereas Lew Wolff reportedly responded, oh yes He does. Fortunately, geniuses usually speak metaphorically anyway, so they probably aren’t nearly as superstitious as they sound despite owning groups of guys who won’t change their underwear during a hitting streak and believe that turning hats around exerts some sort of psychokinetic influence on the luck plane.

In less relevant news, inspired by Slobbering Ozzie’s ringing declaration that they suck but that they really do try, the Feesh knocked the NL West’s premier knuckledragging thug off the mound in the fifth, perhaps conclusively averting the disgrace that might have ensued if he wound up with a Cy Young to go with his collection of horsecocks, shivs and bloody cleats, and held on to win their second straight game over the Reds. Cueto was later spotted in the shower wearing only his shoes, kicking a baseball until it began to unravel. There is no truth to the rumor that, like Rollergirl, he never takes them off. Or at least, there probably isn’t.

Go figger. Their beating a team so clearly superior in just about every respect might have had something to do with Ozzie’s announcement that only two guys, the Iron Giant and Jose Reyes, have guaranteed jobs next season, and that Scrooge McLoria has been conducting surreptitious negotiations with Bugs Bunny to fill the other seven positions.

8. raysfan1 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

A wild card play-in and a game 7 do have winner-take-all in common, but there is a fundamental difference. Game 7s are the culmination of a hard-fought series between evenly matched teams. Play-in games are single games only. There tension still of course, but only because of the artifice of one game. The two teams are not necessarily evenly matched at all. Say it comes down to the As and my Rays–the As seem to be the better team, but with the play-in it just doesn’t matter. A single game elimination frequently eliminates the better team. A best of 7 does not.

• manchestermiracle - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

That’s true, unlike a one-game playoff between two teams tied for first in their division. The wild-card teams should play a full series.

9. ramblingphilliesfan - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

So many inexcusable losses this year.

10. norcaldeportes - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Less Cardinals. More Giants

11. natslady - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Have mixed feelings about the 2nd WC. I must say, it’s something short of amazing that the wildly anticipated September series with the ATL has been pretty ho-hum. Nats are 99% certain to win the division and ATL is 98% certain to win the first WC in the NL. Doesn’t make for a lot of drama.

Davey got his first ejection, though, on a truly terrible safe call at first base. Said runner then scored when EJax (who made a terrific play, and was clearly rattled by the call) served up a nice one to Jason Heyward, tying the game at 4-4. ATL eventually won in the bottom of the eighth when a reliever, after loading the bases, hit Andrelton Simmons’ jersey. Simmons wasn’t sure he got hit, but the ump said take yer base, so he did. Whoever is auditioning for Davey’s job forgot to take the reliever (Ryan Mattheus) out after a hit and two walks…

(There was no top of the ninth because, y’know, Kimbrall pitched–although the Nats did actually strand a runner on 3rd.)

In the postgame interview Davey said even “these old eyes” could see Prado was out at first. He doesn’t believe in replay–just that umps should either be in proper position or consult with each other. Earlier in the game the umps did just that and reversed a call, so it’s not without precedent.

After the Nats game I watched some truly terrible fielding in Houston. Be it noted, the terrible fielding was not by the Astros…

Adam LaRoche has almost exactly the same WAR as Prince Fielder. I wish he would stay in DC, but he probably won’t.

Gio goes for his twentieth win tonight. Be nice if the offense got him some runs.

12. approvenothing - Sep 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The Athletics are making a pull for the division. The Rangers god awful pitching has to stop being god awful and atleast be only disastorous, or we will be rolling the dice against the Orioles in a on game playoff. ~Trust In JD~

13. APBA Guy - Sep 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Another “classic” win for the A’s, with the pitching line for the Real Deal: 7 IP, 2 ER, not revelatory of the outstanding defense that made it all possible. Baltimore has been held to 4 runs in 2 games, assuring the series win for Oakland. But as I said Friday after the A’s loss to the Angels, they have to compete every game, not take one per series off.

After today the A’s go on their “Road Trip of Death” against Detroit, the Yankees, and finally Texas. The Texas series may by then have added meaning as there are only 2 games separating the two teams now.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2915)