Sep 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EST
I’m torn between loving that so many games have consequences right now on the one hand and knowing that, on the other hand, the reason so many have consequences is that we have that second wild card and a play-in game in the offing that will, in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team. Eh, I’ll adjust. Just sayin’.
In any event, the Yankees, for the moment, stay out of that play-in game with their win and the Orioles’ loss. The O’s are OK, though, because the Angels woofed a game away and now seem to be in serious trouble. You gotta beat Kansas City, man. Meanwhile, Chicago maintains it’s one game cushion over Detroit, who they face in a critical make-up game Monday.
In the NL: The Phillies losing to the Astros again is just, dude, no, you can’t do that. The Dodgers, however, have gotten up off the canvass these past couple of days and are now tied with the Cardinals, thanks to yesterday’s walkoff win. St. Louis has more than a week of cupcakeness in the schedule ahead, however, so they can probably handle it. At least if they stop sucking. The Pirates and Brewers kept pace.
It’s gettin’ exciting, kids. Those of us who don’t like the play-in game just have to forget why.
Athletics 5, Orioles 2
Padres 4, Rockies 3
Mariners 8, Rangers 6
Royals 3, Angels 2
Marlins 6, Reds 4
Astros 5, Phillies 0
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2
Brewers 9, Mets 6
Yankees 5, Rays 3
Tigers 5, Indians 3
Braves 5, Nationals 4
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2
Pirates 7, Cubs 6
White Sox 5, Twins 3
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 3
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)