Sep 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
I’m torn between loving that so many games have consequences right now on the one hand and knowing that, on the other hand, the reason so many have consequences is that we have that second wild card and a play-in game in the offing that will, in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team. Eh, I’ll adjust. Just sayin’.
In any event, the Yankees, for the moment, stay out of that play-in game with their win and the Orioles’ loss. The O’s are OK, though, because the Angels woofed a game away and now seem to be in serious trouble. You gotta beat Kansas City, man. Meanwhile, Chicago maintains it’s one game cushion over Detroit, who they face in a critical make-up game Monday.
In the NL: The Phillies losing to the Astros again is just, dude, no, you can’t do that. The Dodgers, however, have gotten up off the canvass these past couple of days and are now tied with the Cardinals, thanks to yesterday’s walkoff win. St. Louis has more than a week of cupcakeness in the schedule ahead, however, so they can probably handle it. At least if they stop sucking. The Pirates and Brewers kept pace.
It’s gettin’ exciting, kids. Those of us who don’t like the play-in game just have to forget why.
Athletics 5, Orioles 2
Padres 4, Rockies 3
Mariners 8, Rangers 6
Royals 3, Angels 2
Marlins 6, Reds 4
Astros 5, Phillies 0
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2
Brewers 9, Mets 6
Yankees 5, Rays 3
Tigers 5, Indians 3
Braves 5, Nationals 4
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2
Pirates 7, Cubs 6
White Sox 5, Twins 3
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)