Sep 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
I’m torn between loving that so many games have consequences right now on the one hand and knowing that, on the other hand, the reason so many have consequences is that we have that second wild card and a play-in game in the offing that will, in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team. Eh, I’ll adjust. Just sayin’.
In any event, the Yankees, for the moment, stay out of that play-in game with their win and the Orioles’ loss. The O’s are OK, though, because the Angels woofed a game away and now seem to be in serious trouble. You gotta beat Kansas City, man. Meanwhile, Chicago maintains it’s one game cushion over Detroit, who they face in a critical make-up game Monday.
In the NL: The Phillies losing to the Astros again is just, dude, no, you can’t do that. The Dodgers, however, have gotten up off the canvass these past couple of days and are now tied with the Cardinals, thanks to yesterday’s walkoff win. St. Louis has more than a week of cupcakeness in the schedule ahead, however, so they can probably handle it. At least if they stop sucking. The Pirates and Brewers kept pace.
It’s gettin’ exciting, kids. Those of us who don’t like the play-in game just have to forget why.
Athletics 5, Orioles 2
Padres 4, Rockies 3
Mariners 8, Rangers 6
Royals 3, Angels 2
Marlins 6, Reds 4
Astros 5, Phillies 0
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2
Brewers 9, Mets 6
Yankees 5, Rays 3
Tigers 5, Indians 3
Braves 5, Nationals 4
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2
Pirates 7, Cubs 6
White Sox 5, Twins 3
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 3
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)