Sep 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
I’m torn between loving that so many games have consequences right now on the one hand and knowing that, on the other hand, the reason so many have consequences is that we have that second wild card and a play-in game in the offing that will, in the space of three hours, erase an entire season for a team. Eh, I’ll adjust. Just sayin’.
In any event, the Yankees, for the moment, stay out of that play-in game with their win and the Orioles’ loss. The O’s are OK, though, because the Angels woofed a game away and now seem to be in serious trouble. You gotta beat Kansas City, man. Meanwhile, Chicago maintains it’s one game cushion over Detroit, who they face in a critical make-up game Monday.
In the NL: The Phillies losing to the Astros again is just, dude, no, you can’t do that. The Dodgers, however, have gotten up off the canvass these past couple of days and are now tied with the Cardinals, thanks to yesterday’s walkoff win. St. Louis has more than a week of cupcakeness in the schedule ahead, however, so they can probably handle it. At least if they stop sucking. The Pirates and Brewers kept pace.
It’s gettin’ exciting, kids. Those of us who don’t like the play-in game just have to forget why.
Athletics 5, Orioles 2
Padres 4, Rockies 3
Mariners 8, Rangers 6
Royals 3, Angels 2
Marlins 6, Reds 4
Astros 5, Phillies 0
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 2
Brewers 9, Mets 6
Yankees 5, Rays 3
Tigers 5, Indians 3
Braves 5, Nationals 4
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 2
Pirates 7, Cubs 6
White Sox 5, Twins 3
Dodgers 4, Cardinals 3
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)