Sep 17, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
The Tigers will be without their starting catcher today as Alex Avila is still apparently feeling the effects of his collision with Prince Fielder today — who wouldn’t be? — and is being held out of the Tigers-White Sox game.
The good news: it appears to only be a sore jaw, not a concussion, meaning that Avila should be back soon.
But really, I can’t think of anyone in baseball who takes a bigger beating that Avila. It’s always something, and on top of that is the fact that he hasn’t had as many days off as most starting catcher get down the stretch the past couple of years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)