Sep 17, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
The Tigers will be without their starting catcher today as Alex Avila is still apparently feeling the effects of his collision with Prince Fielder today — who wouldn’t be? — and is being held out of the Tigers-White Sox game.
The good news: it appears to only be a sore jaw, not a concussion, meaning that Avila should be back soon.
But really, I can’t think of anyone in baseball who takes a bigger beating that Avila. It’s always something, and on top of that is the fact that he hasn’t had as many days off as most starting catcher get down the stretch the past couple of years.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 113
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 3
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 26
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (118)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)