Sep 17, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
The Tigers will be without their starting catcher today as Alex Avila is still apparently feeling the effects of his collision with Prince Fielder today — who wouldn’t be? — and is being held out of the Tigers-White Sox game.
The good news: it appears to only be a sore jaw, not a concussion, meaning that Avila should be back soon.
But really, I can’t think of anyone in baseball who takes a bigger beating that Avila. It’s always something, and on top of that is the fact that he hasn’t had as many days off as most starting catcher get down the stretch the past couple of years.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)