Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Anthony Rizzo hit .342 with a 1.101 OPS in 74 games at Triple-A this season after hitting .331 with a 1.056 OPS in 93 games at Triple-A last year, yet the Cubs took their sweet time calling him up.
Rizzo finally arrived on June 26 and has hit .300 with 14 homers, 11 doubles, and an .843 OPS in 72 games, wiping away any worries stemming from his terrible 49-game debut with the Padres last season and making it clear that he’ll be in the middle of the Cubs’ lineup for a long time.
He had the best game of his young career yesterday, going 3-for-5 with two homers and six RBIs against the Pirates, and the 23-year-old followed up an August slump by hitting .359 with five homers in his last 16 games.
San Diego soured on Rizzo last season, trading him to the Cubs for Andrew Cashner and acquiring Yonder Alonso from the Reds to replace him as their long-term first baseman. Cashner remains a very promising young arm, but Alonso is two-and-a-half years older than Rizzo and has hit .273 with eight homers and a modest .742 OPS in 140 games for the Padres, albeit while calling pitcher-friendly Petco Park home.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)