Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Anthony Rizzo hit .342 with a 1.101 OPS in 74 games at Triple-A this season after hitting .331 with a 1.056 OPS in 93 games at Triple-A last year, yet the Cubs took their sweet time calling him up.
Rizzo finally arrived on June 26 and has hit .300 with 14 homers, 11 doubles, and an .843 OPS in 72 games, wiping away any worries stemming from his terrible 49-game debut with the Padres last season and making it clear that he’ll be in the middle of the Cubs’ lineup for a long time.
He had the best game of his young career yesterday, going 3-for-5 with two homers and six RBIs against the Pirates, and the 23-year-old followed up an August slump by hitting .359 with five homers in his last 16 games.
San Diego soured on Rizzo last season, trading him to the Cubs for Andrew Cashner and acquiring Yonder Alonso from the Reds to replace him as their long-term first baseman. Cashner remains a very promising young arm, but Alonso is two-and-a-half years older than Rizzo and has hit .273 with eight homers and a modest .742 OPS in 140 games for the Padres, albeit while calling pitcher-friendly Petco Park home.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)