Sep 17, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was able to play Sunday after tweaking his right side during an at-bat Saturday, going 1-for-3 with two walks, but the Marlins right fielder is still sore enough that he’s out of the lineup tonight.
Stanton told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com that he expects to be back in the lineup tomorrow, but Frisaro speculates that the Marlins will hold him out again as a precaution.
It’ll be the 31st game Stanton has missed this season because of injuries, yet he still ranks second among NL hitters with 32 homers.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)