Sep 17, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
I’m sure Omar Vizquel fans will be angry about this comparison, but it’s not so much about him as it is me trying to point out the silliness behind acting as if “hits” are a good way to gauge someone’s overall ability as a hitter.
Anyway, yesterday Vizquel notched his 2,871st and 2,872nd career hits, meaning he’s just one hit shy of tying Babe Ruth on the all-time hit list with 2,873.
That’s a helluva accomplishment any way you look at it–particularly for a shortstop with a billion Gold Glove awards–but consider this: Ruth has 2,073 more total bases and 1,029 more times on base while making 2,664 fewer outs than Vizquel.
Not all hits are created equal, walks count for something too, and Babe Ruth was really friggin good.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15