Police go undercover to stop underage binge drinking at Royals games

Sep 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

royals beer mug

Christine Vendel of the Kansas City Star writes that there was a whole lot of underage drinking going on in the parking lot before Royals games at Kauffman Stadium, so police decided to go undercover and crack down on it:

Stadium security officers saw increasing groups of minors clutching alcohol in the parking lots. And inside the stadium, several underage kids–mostly girls–passed out and ended up at the First Aid booth. …

Kansas City police launched an undercover effort in early July to reduce the illegal drinking. In six operations, police arrested more than 100 minors–and a few parents too, for providing alcohol to their children.

And here’s my favorite part of the article:

“We had more arrests than the Royals had runs,” joked Sgt. Brad Dumit, who supervises the police vice unit.

I’m imagining general manager Dayton Moore reading his newspaper over breakfast this morning, getting to that line, and just shaking his head. “Everyone’s a comedian,” he’d probably say. And then he’d sigh, take a sip of coffee, and reassure himself by whispering, “Well, at least we still have Francoeur for next season.”

1. mattyflex - Sep 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I think this is a case of starting kids early so they know how to cope with being a lifelong Royals fan. I first had a drink at Kauffman when I was 16.

Also worth noting, Saturday night for the Greinke/Guthrie showdown, I saw a child that appeared to be about 12 or 13 smoking a cigarette outside gate C. The alcohol and tobacco business is booming in Kansas City, I think partly due to the Royals as well as the dismal Chiefs.

• professormaddog31 - Sep 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

my parents live in MO, right smack between KC and STL. The people who live around there know how to knock the brew back. Of course I live in Wisconsin now, where there’s five bars on every corner and mother’s milk is 90 proof.

2. yahmule - Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If the Royals don’t make you a binge drinker, the Chiefs sure as hell will.

3. sabatimus - Sep 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

That was a very Calcaterra ending to your post, Aaron.

4. paperlions - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Is David Glass frustrated that he can’t immediately fire Sgt. Dumit or is he on the horn right now trying to call in favors to make it happen?

5. pjmarn6 - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Stew their brains, smoke their lungs and marinate their bodies with marijuana. Today’s youth and tomorrows politicians.

6. shaggytoodle - Sep 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Brewers fans know how to drink at younger age so they are harder to detect.

• spudatx - Sep 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Over in Minneapolis, there way always Good Ol’ Wally The Beerman to supply minors!

7. sfm073 - Sep 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The unnecessary shots at the end of articles drive me nuts. You’re a freaking wannabe sportswriter that only wishes he could play sports professionally. So keep making jabs while bringing in 40k a year and he’ll continue to make millions playing a game.

• ptfu - Sep 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Dayton Moore, is that you?

Anyway, Francouer’s not playing a game. This year, he’s butchering it.

The unnecessary shots that made up your comment drive me nuts. You’re a freaking wannabe commenter that only wishes he could comment on message boards professionally. So keep making jabs while bringing in ABSOLUTELY NOTHING per year and he’ll continue to make (tens of thousands?) writing about a game.

See? I can do it too! Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever!

Three legends off to Cooperstown