Sep 17, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ron Washington decided to make a change after Feldman coughed up six runs in just 2.2 innings against the Mariners on Saturday, so the Rangers will bump him to the bullpen while moving rookie Martin Perez into the rotation.
Perez made three starts for the Rangers earlier this season, allowing seven runs in 17 innings, and tossed 4.1 scoreless innings Saturday in relief of Feldman. He’s been considered one of the game’s top pitching prospects for the past 3-4 years, but Perez’s numbers in the minors this season weren’t particularly impressive and the Rangers are definitely taking a risk by relying on the 21-year-old.
On the other hand Feldman went 5-11 with a 5.52 ERA in 20 starts for a team that’s 87-59, so Perez won’t have to be great to represent a major upgrade.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)